Clearing Mum's home - Warning!

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Just an update - We have had the 4 week review at the CH (although it has been 6 weeks, due to the SW holiday), they are very happy with Mum's progress, they think she is an absolute dream (CH manager's words to me). Mum is looking better than ever due to a routine of regular meals, drinks etc and I cannot fault the care she is receiving.However, I am now in the final stages of clearing her bungalow and have had 2 house clearance people round, the first one said he would do it if I sold him some of Mum's/family pottery and pressurised me into making a decision there and then, the other told me not to get rid of them as they are your family history. I told the first 'trader' that I would not make a decision on the spot, he was not happy and stormed out. I have since found out the pottery is worth nearly £300, he offered me £80. Nice profit!!! Be aware if you get house clearance people in - there are some who take advantage at a distressing time in your lives.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Rosiek, thanks for the warning. I am so pleased you didn't sell to the first bidder. The second one sounds honest enough though, he obviously recognised that they were family pieces.

Best wishes to you all x

holiday

Apr 29, 2011
Norfolk
It's disguisting that people like that are allowed out! Not like you dont have enough to deal with at this distressing time xx

Pacucho

Another tip

Your thread reminded me of another issue.

I do know that sometimes dementia sufferers hide money around the house for safekeeping and then forget about it. My mum suffered from vascular dementia, and when I decided to repaint a chest of drawers in her bedroom I came across £180. Therefore, it is always a good idea to check the furniture.
Regards

Paco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77