Cleaners - any advice?

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
I thought I had found someone - who was supposed to start this morning - she just texted me to say that she won't, after all, be taking the job on. She seems to have a problem with the fact that my mum doesn't really know what is going on. I live in the house and I am employing her so not sure what this has got to do with it (my mum will be at day care when she was supposed to come). Supposedly she has worked as a carer for people with dementia before so I thought she would have some understanding regarding my mum's memory issues. Really not sure what the problem was at all as she wouldn't even be seeing my mum.

Anyway - what's the best way to go about finding a cleaner - this one I found through her card in a newsagent window - but it hasn't worked out. Has anyone had someone come through Age UK or other agency? The Age UK service costs £15 an hour which seems expensive to me. Don't want to waste my time fannying about to be let down again (grrrr - like I've got the time!!).

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi I asked our Social Worker for names of agencies to use as I had already asked Age UK and Alzheimers Society and got nowhere, the SW gave me a list of recommended agencies and I chose one, phoned them up and the cleaner come for 2 hours each week now, It is 11.50 a hour,

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Hi I asked our Social Worker for names of agencies to use as I had already asked Age UK and Alzheimers Society and got nowhere, the SW gave me a list of recommended agencies and I chose one, phoned them up and the cleaner come for 2 hours each week now, It is 11.50 a hour,

We have the very same problem. People will just say 'I don't do it' - as if 'IT' is an contagious illness.
Like Jeany123, I contacted Alz. Soc here, but not a whisper. I have tried in past a Carer from one agency, but that was a total disappointment, as the Carer thought this was a holiday camp.
I wish there was a magic way of 'discovering' people who wants to work and where they are based.
Good luck to you Artyfarty.

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Thanks all. My mum does not have a social worker as yet. I was told that they wouldn't assign her one until I can't look after her any more. I know they are fobbing me off. I just don't have the energy at the moment for the fight.

I'll try the council anyway and see if they can recommend someone. I'm not that familiar with the neighbours but could be worth a go as well.

Really can't understand the attitude of the cleaner - very odd.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I had luck on my side. I was talking to my respite girl and asked her if she knew of a cleaner. Yes, she says, my mum! She has just lost a job( people moved) so she had a slot free. Problem solved! Also no problem with OH, as she has a couple of family members with AD

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Really can't understand the attitude of the cleaner - very odd.

Maybe she has had a bad experience, working for someone with dementia, perhaps e.g. being accused of stealing - heaven knows it can happen to nearest and dearest, let alone anyone they maybe don't want in the house in the first place. My mother went through a thankfully very short-lived phase of thinking her long- standing lovely cleaning lady was nicking things, and it was always daft things nobody would want to nick anyway.

Do hope you find someone soon.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
i think Carpe Diem has it spot on, i have had the odd cleaner in my time, the best have always been ones I have advertised for rather than ones whose cards I have seen in windows. You can specify what you will pay and they can take it or leave it. And when you talk to them make sure you arrange to meet face to face too. Go with your instincts. #

my mum's carers also do cleaning, it's a godsend.

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Hi artyfarty
Just a thought - why not have a word with the admin staff or carers at the day care centre - some of these people may be part time and be happy to do some extra hours or they may be able to recommend an agency.

It's right to be a little cautious how you advertise as most people can be trusted but there is always that tiny risk that someone will take advantage knowing your Mum is a vulnerable adult - but as you say if your Mum isn't going to be there she doesn't need to be mentioned in the job requirement?

Best wishes, hope you find someone soon
Meercat

Kamiller

Sep 17, 2013
I don't really know how practical this is, but maybe putting a card up in a dementia care home would be a good idea. Carers often have side jobs in cleaning and being able to get a carer to clean would surely be the perfect solution. Just a thought xx

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Thanks all. Hadn't thought of advertising myself. Mum goes to a day centre so I might be able to find someone through there.

Thank you lovely helpful people!

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My Mums care agency will also do home help so after Mums cleaner retired we use them now.

I personally (just my opinion) would be wary of advertising as you never know who you will get.

good luck:)

Florriep

Jul 31, 2012
Kent
Age UK might be top end price-wise, but we've used them in the past with huge success. Our cleaner was a wonderful, caring neighbour who would often pop round when not cleaning just to check MIL was OK or sit with her. Her husband was also willing to go round in the evening to turn off taps and close windows which MIL was finding so challenging before moving into the CH. It saved us much torment knowing such lovely, caring people were close by and willing to help. I realise its the luck of the draw who's allocated from Age UK, but in our case 3x the price would have been a bargain! Hope you soon find someone suitable.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think finding a really reliable cleaner is difficult - full-stop! One cleaner chucked it in even before her first clean. The dementia aspect just complicates this further I guess.

Personal recommendation is really the best but having said that our current cleaner, recommended by our care worker, is very nice but either she has poor eyesight or is just a bit lazy. When I can spot things that haven't been done after every visit, it's certainly a cause for concern. I'm just pondering whether to find a polite way to drop her. We pay £10 an hour and £5 petrol money (generous, considering the distance she comes, but that's what she asked for).

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
I've never employed a cleaner before ( I've certainly fantasized about it though!) - Florriep - I certainly take on board what you say about the Ageuk service. I am worried about letting a stranger loose in the house and it's difficult to really check somebody out adequately yourself. The woman who quit before she started had references and a CRB check. It's a pity she couldn't be certified as a non-time waster as well. My mum will be paying so I feel duty bound to take price into the equation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels