Choosing shoes

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Allen has diabetes and periphial neuropathy and has to be very careful with his feet,

He has been wearing slip on sand shoes when he goes out and moccasin slippers in the house, he has very twisted bent toes, he has trainers I got last year with velcro fastening for the winter, but he has had them on twice and has a little sore on his big toe looks as though it has rubbed, i always buy him seamfree non elastic top socks so it isn't the seam,

I have been looking for footwear for him as I can't take him shopping especially this time of the year, I have been looking on the internet but the only comfort ones I can see are wide fitting and he has very slim feet, He only really gets out the wheelchair and into the minibus and out at the other end but always seems to stand in mud or wet if it's been raining,
The problem I have is he would have to wear them to make sure they didn't rub and I can't afford to be wasting money on shoes that are no good,
Any advise would be great thank you,

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Is there a local mobility firm near you Jeany which does a home fitting service. Allen`s diabetic nurse may be able to help you there.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thank you Sylvia I have just phone the surgery and they are going to get the diabetic nurse to phone tomorrow when she is in, I never thought of that, I didn't know what to do or who to contact,

Jeany x

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hi Jeany
My mum is also diabetic. I take her to see the podiatrist (NHS as it is still a free service for diabetics where we live) - perhaps your local foot clinic/ podiatrist could help?
Her latest shoes are from a company called (guess the missing word) - "Oh my, the weather is getting hot, h@((er, hottest !":)
Best wishes.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi Jeany
My mum is also diabetic. I take her to see the podiatrist (NHS as it is still a free service for diabetics where we live) - perhaps your local foot clinic/ podiatrist could help?
Her latest shoes are from a company called (guess the missing word) - "Oh my, the weather is getting hot, h@((er, hottest !":)
Best wishes.

Thank you, we were at the podiatrist a couple of weeks ago he gets it free as well, but I didn't have that problem then,

I will see what the diabetic nurse says tomorrow and then try the podiatrist if she can't help and thank you for the tips :)