Choosing a care home.

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
Sorry if this is in the wrong are not 100%sure where to post it.

My brother and mum and looking at 2 care home for my dad this weekend and was wandering if anyone has some tips of what to look for and ask. I have downloaded a book from unforgettable about but probably won't get time to read it all before Saturday! Thank you x
Em

Juliasdementiablog

Oct 23, 2017
Brighton
Hi emmags
I think this is exactly the place to post such a question, because choosing a care home should be about the person living with dementia's health and well-being. I also recommend the Alzheimers Society and Age UK fact sheets. In addition, I just wrote a post on choosing a care home to share all the things I wished I knew, when I was looking. https://juliasdementiablog.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/choosing-a-care-home/ I do hope it is helpful. Good luck with the process and do let us know how you get on. Julia x

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
Hi Julia thank you for that, sorry not been on since mid late Jan my husband and I are also in the process of buying and a selling our home. Finally we have chosen a care home fornmy dad. It has dragged out longer than I would have liked and i have found my family hard work dealing with it.

Some of the delay has also been dealing with the local council as we don't have power of attorney so need a loan from them.

Last weekend we saw some more and i came away from one thinking that is the one, they had a display for remberance Sunday last year, pics of royals, they do lots of activities that I can sees dad getting involved in organising them (under there supervision of course). There was also the staff and how they interact with residents and family and they have quiet a few males in the home, they even had the rugby on. Then I find out mum and my brother were not as sure as me as one of the other ones was an older building so lot's of wandering room but the other aspects were more important and I have found mum being allowed the final say when she hasn't seen him since he has been in hospital as she is worried they will try and make her take him home, even though he is in under Dols.

Thankfully they agreed with me and contacted my preference who were carrying out the assessment today or yesterday.

I never thought I would say this but I am looking forward to the transfer day and knowing he will be in the care of people who wil interact with him, the hospital staff are great but they aren't trained or have the want really to engage with him. Last weekend when I saw him he was adimant that he had been diagnosed with cancer and even had an a4 page of notes about it. I did check with the staff and n9 it isn't true!

Juliasdementiablog

Oct 23, 2017
Brighton
Hi Julia thank you for that, sorry not been on since mid late Jan my husband and I are also in the process of buying and a selling our home. Finally we have chosen a care home fornmy dad. It has dragged out longer than I would have liked and i have found my family hard work dealing with it.

Some of the delay has also been dealing with the local council as we don't have power of attorney so need a loan from them.

Last weekend we saw some more and i came away from one thinking that is the one, they had a display for remberance Sunday last year, pics of royals, they do lots of activities that I can sees dad getting involved in organising them (under there supervision of course). There was also the staff and how they interact with residents and family and they have quiet a few males in the home, they even had the rugby on. Then I find out mum and my brother were not as sure as me as one of the other ones was an older building so lot's of wandering room but the other aspects were more important and I have found mum being allowed the final say when she hasn't seen him since he has been in hospital as she is worried they will try and make her take him home, even though he is in under Dols.

Thankfully they agreed with me and contacted my preference who were carrying out the assessment today or yesterday.

I never thought I would say this but I am looking forward to the transfer day and knowing he will be in the care of people who wil interact with him, the hospital staff are great but they aren't trained or have the want really to engage with him. Last weekend when I saw him he was adimant that he had been diagnosed with cancer and even had an a4 page of notes about it. I did check with the staff and n9 it isn't true!

Dear emmags Great news! Looks like you have gone through a thorough process, and got all family on side. So well done to you, that must be a relief. Check out the advice on Alzheimer's Society website about how to manage the move. Something else that can be fraught unless planned. I have also written a post on Changing Rooms. Good luck with the move.

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
Thank you Julia I got a call from mum yesterday to say they were going to move him yesterday but planning it for today as the home had staff issues. This gives us no time to do any prep or even be there as I had all ready agreed to stay in hotel close to work as it is our payroll day today. I asked her to ask them to wait till Mon and then she called today to say she social worker thought it would be OK but the ward staff have said no they will be moving him today (despite the weather and the road the hospital on has a burst water pipe)

Juliasdementiablog

Oct 23, 2017
Brighton
Thank you Julia I got a call from mum yesterday to say they were going to move him yesterday but planning it for today as the home had staff issues. This gives us no time to do any prep or even be there as I had all ready agreed to stay in hotel close to work as it is our payroll day today. I asked her to ask them to wait till Mon and then she called today to say she social worker thought it would be OK but the ward staff have said no they will be moving him today (despite the weather and the road the hospital on has a burst water pipe)
Oh well, there is nothing more you can do right now. Hoping he settles in and great that he will now be cared for by people who are trained in dementia care. Very best wishes, Julia x

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
Thank you for all you advice and I found your blog links helpful and have signed up for updates thing!x