Cheered up at last!!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I am feeling better about myself than I have done for an absolute age - it only takes a few kinds words doesn't it, to restore one's self esteem?

I used to be on BBC Radio Devon every couple of weeks, with a phone in spot about genealogy - I loved it, and it was a very popular thing we did for over 3 years.

Then life got in the way, the local studio closed, and the nearest studio in Plymouth was far too far and then OH became ill, and then diagnosed with dementia, and I sort of dropped off the radar, and started this horrid journey with dementia that he and I have been on....

It seemed the BBC were looking for me, and couldn't find me, so well had I dropped out of sight.

Now they have located me again, (big smile) and I am doing a spot this afternoon, and the producer seems to think we might just possibly re awaken the long neglected spot I had before..... well, even if we don't manage that- I still feel a whole lot better that they looked for me until they found me again !!!!

What has cheered anyone else up today??

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I still feel a whole lot better that they looked for me until they found me again !!!!

that is really nice that they wanted you.

Yesterday my OH finally made a big effort for my birthday, heavily prompted by 18 year old dau. He always says he means to but doesn't usually manage anything (well he did the first year we were going out - 1987! - but I don't think he has bought me a present or card since 1988). One year he only remembered it was my birthday when I said at 7pm that I had forgotten to get cakes for work (he had been in the Isle of Man in the morning with dau racing- I had done a day trip to Sheffield with son fencing) so we didn't see each other until 5pm.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I had an appointment free day so I dropped off some cutting material at my environmental group nursery and had coffee with a dear friend. Then I drove down to my other land care group and caught up with another friend. We sat and chatted for an hour and it was just lovely to catch up with news of old friends. So lovely to have the time and freedom to do it.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Just done an hour long phone in on BBC Radio Devon - now she is looking at a regular day time spot - that will cheer my life and bring me back into the outside world instead of closing in on myself like I have been doing.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Really good news, Maryjoan, will we be able to find the programme if in another area.

I feel good that I have details of a possible place so we can have a suitable break. X

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Really good news, Maryjoan, will we be able to find the programme if in another area.

I feel good that I have details of a possible place so we can have a suitable break. X
Oh that sounds great Alice - a break - hope that works out for you.... let us know!
I think if you go on BBCiplayer you might be able to find it under regional stations - Janet Kipling programme....
Do you think my brother was being slightly insensitive when he phoned this morning to say he was off on holiday to Spain for FIVE WEEKS - I do!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh that sounds great Alice - a break - hope that works out for you.... let us know!
I think if you go on BBCiplayer you might be able to find it under regional stations - Janet Kipling programme....
Do you think my brother was being slightly insensitive when he phoned this morning to say he was off on holiday to Spain for FIVE WEEKS - I do!!

People are aren't they! I hope it was just a warning to you, all our family are going away in August so I think I best wrap us up in cotton wool. I try to be independent but in a real emergency it has been useful to have back up. I guess people lack imagination and the empathy that goes with it.

We have not been away for several years, this morning I sorted out a box of diaries. I had been keeping these as they had details of activities/holidays and I had hoped to write them out in a more readable form. I cannot see I will have time now. I was amazed what we packed in to life, we were so involved in so many things and we travelled too.
So involved in forums, courses and study, a different life. I could not keep up now. Xxx

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I am feeling better about myself than I have done for an absolute age - it only takes a few kinds words doesn't it, to restore one's self esteem?

I used to be on BBC Radio Devon every couple of weeks, with a phone in spot about genealogy - I loved it, and it was a very popular thing we did for over 3 years.

Then life got in the way, the local studio closed, and the nearest studio in Plymouth was far too far and then OH became ill, and then diagnosed with dementia, and I sort of dropped off the radar, and started this horrid journey with dementia that he and I have been on....

It seemed the BBC were looking for me, and couldn't find me, so well had I dropped out of sight.

Now they have located me again, (big smile) and I am doing a spot this afternoon, and the producer seems to think we might just possibly re awaken the long neglected spot I had before..... well, even if we don't manage that- I still feel a whole lot better that they looked for me until they found me again !!!!

What has cheered anyone else up today??
Strangely enough the constant and repetitive and almost obsessive complains about a fence, after causing me no end of grief, ended up cheering me up. Why? I gave up, ripped out the fence, bought a new one and bags of concrete and after back breaking work and seemingly endless wood staining the job is done and looks great, clever me! Well, not quite as she kept cleaning up around me and throwing things in the bin I needed etc etc but in the main I saw the funny side and so got on with it. Still a bit to do but am cheered up no end although maybe no more physical jobs as this old body is wracked with pain but face smiling. Thank you Maryjoan for sharing your good news.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Just done an hour long phone in on BBC Radio Devon - now she is looking at a regular day time spot - that will cheer my life and bring me back into the outside world instead of closing in on myself like I have been doing.
Well done maryjoan I'm so pleased for you.
I feel cheered up due to an event that happened over a year ago. There was a huge conifer in our garden, which OH insisted would never be cut down. But one day out of the blue he said it should go, and so it did. Little by little all the area around it started getting lovelier. The grass is growing back, the shrubs are blooming, a small acer is flourishing. Every time I go out there I look around and feel better.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Well done maryjoan I'm so pleased for you.
I feel cheered up due to an event that happened over a year ago. There was a huge conifer in our garden, which OH insisted would never be cut down. But one day out of the blue he said it should go, and so it did. Little by little all the area around it started getting lovelier. The grass is growing back, the shrubs are blooming, a small acer is flourishing. Every time I go out there I look around and feel better.
Gardens are such a delight- mine is nothing special to other people, but to me it is the first thing I look at every morning from the bedroom window - before I face another day.....

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Gardens are such a delight- mine is nothing special to other people, but to me it is the first thing I look at every morning from the bedroom window - before I face another day.....
We recently moved into a flat with communal gardens. They are very well kept and I often see a gardener around doing bits and pieces, including mowing the well kept lawns. I struggled to do any gardening when we had our own garden, partly because I am not fit and partly because of having to watch my husband. We also have a lot of birds around and it's lovely listening to them. My husband is also enjoying the gardens, although he thinks it's the gardener we used to have when we had our own garden.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
We recently moved into a flat with communal gardens. They are very well kept and I often see a gardener around doing bits and pieces, including mowing the well kept lawns. I struggled to do any gardening when we had our own garden, partly because I am not fit and partly because of having to watch my husband. We also have a lot of birds around and it's lovely listening to them. My husband is also enjoying the gardens, although he thinks it's the gardener we used to have when we had our own garden.
There is a black bird who sits in a nearby tree whistling away each morning and through the day, I like to think he is my friend.

Floria Tosca

Mar 23, 2015
Nr Doncaster
We live in the Countryside, completely surrounded by fields. Hubby is in respite until next Tuesday so I am alone for the bank holiday weekend. (Hoorah)!
The things that make me smile: the daft pheasant that spends a lot of the day attacking the large shiny green electricity box, the hare laid in the grass near the front gate (Can just see his/her ears). The baby rabbits and their mother who live in a burrow under the garden shed coming out to feed and play. The two partridges stealing the grass seed. Although I don't like seeing the pigeons, who come enmasse to steal the grass seed!
The little birds feeding from the bird feeders and having a wash in the bird baths. Sometimes I see Roe deer in the hedgerow and once they jumped the stock fence and wandered around our paddock.
Usually I haven't got the time to gaze out of the windows and if I point out various wildlife to hubby, he's not interested.
Reminds me of my favourite poem: What is this life, if full of care we have no time to stop and stare, etc etc. Should make this poem the Carers' Anthem. Hugs to all you carers xx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Had to smile at something I read on facebook....
it said
" There is no Alzheimer's in heaven"

Well, I can understand the thinking behind that, but personally, I would swap it around to read

" There is no heaven in Alzheimer's" well, that's my experience !!