CHC funding approved

Jen S

Feb 26, 2017
We received the news yesterday that my Mum would not return home after a respite stay in a home. This came as a complete shock as we had booked her in there for a week, then got told she would need to stay in as she is unsafe to come home after falling on two occasions. The CHC team got involved and informed us yesterday that full funding has been approved so Mum will remain in care.
This has been an incredibly emotional journey since my Mum's diagnosis three and a half years ago. We were told a year ago that Mum was in the latter stages, a year on nothing has changed other than Mum's health has declined, it is the saddest thing you can ever see a relative go through. I know that my Mum would be horrified if she could see herself.
The CHC process has not been easy and do not envy anyone going through this postcode lottery.
Can I ask if anyone has experienced what we have, as we never expected the choice of Mum going into a home to be taken away.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I think I am on the threshold of this myself after a sudden and traumatic decline in my OH’s condition and already hurting. I wish you and your family well x

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Yes, I’ve experienced this too with my Dad, following his last sectioning we were told he would be no longer able to come home. Whilst the decision was out of our hands, we did support it after really thinking things through, it was the best option for him.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum went into hospital, had a number of falls, periods when we couldn't wake her up, was immobile, incontinent and not eating. Whilst in there she was assessed by the social worker who said that we would not be able to cope with her at home, so Mum went from hospital into a home for further assessment of her needs and she stayed at the nursing home, she has been there now nearly 2 years. In a way it was a relief that the decision was taken out of our hands (we did have POA's), but I still feel guilty about the way it happened, but having said that it was the best decision for Mum.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My husband went into respite as I was ill, I said I would take him home the care home management team said no as one person couldn’t commit to the amount of care needed.. they were right!