CHC decision making query

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
I will try to keep this as short as possible-
1. My 88 years old mother has severe dementia, Alzheimers disease, and was admitted to hospital last December as an emergency patient due to severe bleeding. The bleeding eventually stopped following numerous blood transfusions and after 4 weeks in hospital with no further bleeding she was deemed fit for discharge. I was not happy that she was expected to return home to live with me with no support in place and asked to see the discharge policy. The social worker said she didn't know what I was talking about and PALS said they didn't know what it was so I asked the ward manager and she provided me with a copy of the complex case discharge policy. Within 5 minutes the social worker returned with some papers, the standard discharge policy, which she flung onto the bed saying this is what you want but we don't follow it anyway!
2. The next day the social worker said that my mother could have 4-6 weeks re-enablement/rehabilitation care in a care home which would be paid for by health/social services and later that week Mum was transferred to a nursing home. One week later Mum was injured when another resident fell on her. Mum sustained a severely broken wrist which required manipulation under sedation. On her return to the nursing home she became very unwell, suffering further falls. I asked to speak with the social worker. I expressed my concerns and, after speaking to her manager, she said that she would arrange for Mum to have a full CHC assessment and that Mums nursing home fees would be paid until a decision had been made on the full assessment. The full assessment took place several months later and the recommendation was that Mum was not eligible for CHC funding
3. On 4 October 2017 I received a letter stating that my mother's assessment had now been completed and she had been found not to be eligible for CHC funding. I asked when the decision had been made as I understood that Mum was responsible for paying her care home fees from the date of the decision. No response from them despite many reminders until today when they say the decision was made on 4 September 2017 but her fees have to be paid from the date of the assessment - 8 August 2017.
4. I have been paying her fees so the difference is only 27 days but it amounts to several thousand pounds. It seems logical that the fees should be paid from the date of the CCG's decision. Does anyone know whether this is correct? Sorry about the length of this post and thanks to anyone who has read it.