CHC Assessment this week - any advice?

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi,

My Dad has an assessment for CHC funding in a few days time and I have been invited this time - last time he was assessed (and turned down, twice in 2009), I wasn’t invited and knew nothing about it until afterwards. I just wondered if anyone had any advice as to how I should approach it.

My Mum was assessed when she moved to a nursing home in 2011 – again, I wasn’t invited, but she was awarded CHC even without me being involved. I have tried to do my own "assessment" using the decision tool and comparing with my Mum’s results – I reckon it is going to be a very close decision, even though my Dad can only do five things in my opinion (breathe, chew, swallow, sit upright and move his arms). Compared to his behaviour in the past I suppose he is relatively calm now (although he took a mega swipe at his cup of tea this week and if it had been full it would have scalded the lady sitting next to him). I put this down to him being well managed - but I know a well managed need is still a need. I guess it all depends what the CH staff say, what mood the assessor is in and which way the wind is blowing (sorry if I sound cynical, can’t imagine why).

I have read up everything I have found but just wondered if anyone had any tips to share.

Thanks,
C

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Carolyn,

The best advice I can give is to have examples to back up your case. For instance if you are saying your dad is at risk of falls be prepared to give dates and times of when he fell, or if he is unable to communicate his needs be able to say he became dehydrated on such and such a date because he was unable to ask for a drink.

I hope it goes well.

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Hi Caroly,

what i did when we were told that they were going to assess my MIL for CHC was to print a copy of all they paper work involved and did my own assessment as i seen what my MIL needed, could not do etc. then i made a list of things she needed full assistance with eg., dressing, toileting, aggression.
when you attend the meeting go well prepaired with time dated etc and if you do not agree with what the staff or the assessor says then you must speak up, remember that you are your fathers mouth piece.

so you have a SW if so ask to meet them before the assessment. my MILs SW was away on leave but her boss attended with us and i was very pleased as he would not let the assessor push his thoughts only onto us, he fought for us. we received a letter a few weeks later to say she had been awarded

you go get them girl and fight your corner. keep us posted.

jan1962

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
gee thanks for this info - we're just about going into the second stage - and SW and CPN are both trying to push for this for us. Now I can be bit more prepared. However, we have slightly different case as OH is in remission form bowel cancer and also suffered from a meleana last year which left him in hosp with infection which was eventually diagnosed as collitis - which can be dangerous. - anyone else had this problem?