changes in behaviour

Betty74

Apr 4, 2024
Hi there,
Mum has been in respite just a few weeks and there are continuing distressing changes in her behaviour. She is refusing to eat much, regularly resisting personal care and yesterday we visited to find her agitated, hiding out in the bathroom undressed and shouting out -until she saw us and immediate compliance, but clearly distressed, unsettled and distrusting.
Any advice about mental health input which has been suggested? Does anyone have experience of medicating these sort of behavioural changes?
I worry that she wont be able to remain if we dont. But as not evident before the move into care, also reluctant to continue if its not the best thing for her, although I appreciate how such a big change could cause this deterioration. Help!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Betty74 I am sorry to read that your mum is so distressed during her respite period. It does take people with dementia a while to get used to a care home setting so this could be part of the settling in process, and the care home staff should be used to dealing with this.

As far as medication is concerned, I think that you should discuss this with the care home and your mum's GP, they would be best placed to advise you. I do hope that your mum settles soon.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head