1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. simba1

simba1 Registered User

Sep 18, 2015
    Hi mum has been changed from donepezil 4 weeks ago to memantine in the four weeks of reducing dose of donepezil and 4 week of increasing memantine the deterioration in mums memory has been rapid. Has anyone had similar experiences if so did they ask for the medication to be changed back n did it help again thank you

2. snowygirl

snowygirl Registered User

Jan 9, 2014
    HI Simba1

My dad went from doneprezil to Memantine and I'm not sure it has done anything for him. In fact it was shortly after this that he ended up being taken to respite by the Mental Health team and has since gone into a care home. I'm not saying the change in medicine made him worse but it certainly didn't help! Its so hard to tell isn't it because we could be blaming the drug when actually its just a natural decline due to this dreaded disease. I hope someone else will come on here shortly with their thoughts.

3. SEASHELL

SEASHELL Account on hold

Sep 2, 2009
    All I'll say is my mother became much worse on her dementia drug and it caused her to have seizures. It almost killed her so check all medication and research the side effects.

4. simba1

simba1 Registered User

Sep 18, 2015

5. simba1

simba1 Registered User

Sep 18, 2015

Sorry to hear about mum to get the sever side effects of the drugs must be awful