CCTV Cameras in Care Homes

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think that if all the staff of a CH were told the relatives have a right to use a hidden camera that alone would improve things.
If you thought you may be being covertly filmed you'd have to change the way you behaved in the same way speed cameras don't need to be actually working they just have to be there to sow down speeding drivers.
Once there is a very real prospect you may be; caught on film, sacked and possibly prosecuted you'd have to modify the way you behave.
Anyone on a supermarket checkout knows the cameras spend as much time watching the staff as they do the customers, schools film the children all the time for their own safety why not care homes?
On principle I'm against covert filming but where reasonable suspicion exists either by the care home or the relatives I can't see any reason why not.
K

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
When I lived in London I was on camera when I walked out of the door to my flat, said cameras could probably track me to the high street where other cameras took over, believe me the area I lived it was needed.
When I had a Saturday job in a well known store , they had those old fashioned ones hanging from the ceiling , the black balls with several apertures and a red blinking light,
The same with my first proper job in a little known department store
We know have them on buses and trains.
I don't even notice them now, TBH I believe if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Speaking personally I would like sound activated Audio equipment in residents bathrooms too

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
We shouldn't need CCTV but because we can't rely on some of the people we put our trust in, it really is the only way forward now.

The technology is now at the stage where it's very easy and affordable to put live or recording cameras in places and situations where they will protect our loved ones, so we shouldn't feel uneasy about doing it.

Mrs C

Sep 7, 2012
scotland
Hospitals too

I think there should be cameras in all care homes and also assessment hospitals.
Not hidden cameras but staff aware maybe this way our loved ones would be treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.
Our loved one suffered at the hands of the N.H.S for a period of almost a year before he very sadly died by what we would call abuse and neglect.
I don't want to go into details for being afraid of alarming people who have no choice but to have their loved ones put under a mental health order.
We are fighting with the N.H.S regarding the treatment by supposedly highly trained staff in the care of Alzheimers.
We do not want compensation only to see written recommendations that this kind of treatment, will not be have to be endured by any one suffering from Alzheimers or their loved ones having to watch helplessly with no one listening.
This includes The Mental Welfare Commission Scotland who to my way of thinking are there to protect vulnerable adults but do nothing when asked for help.

Last edited: