Catheter

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I've been self-catheterising for about 10 years now but have asked my continence service about the possibility of having a supra-pubic catheter installed instead as I'm struggling with coordination and remembering how to catheterise properly.

Anyone else had or has similar? Any idea what to expect at all?

Thanks

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
I’ve looked at some of your previous posts. You also have MS? Not an expert on continence but you may find more info on other websites, but I am probably wrong and someone will pop up with information.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Thanks, yes I have MS as well among other issues and I've posted the same question on some Facebook groups, just trying to get a balanced response from as many angles as I can really.

Thank you, I haven't posted for a while but not sure why. I've been reading and replying to some posts as far as I know.

Noangel2

Jan 19, 2018
Hi danonwheels. I don't think it would be an unreasonable request to ask for a permanent urethral catheter. It depends on how often you are self catheterising. If, say it's just once a day, then you may be able to use the district nurses to help you do it.
You mention a suprapubic catheter (where the catheter is inserted directly into the bladder via the abdomen) this is not as common as a urethral catheter and requires a little more care to prevent infection. I don't know your medical history but I would hold off a suprapubic unless it's medically your only option.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Couple of websites Bladderandbowel.org.
Nursingtimes.net ....
Healthtalk.org ......people talking about their experiences

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Dan, my Dad (=PWD) has a urethral catheter fitted.
His was fitted two years ago, when he was in hospital with UTI & incontinence.

It's been a great help!
We no longer need to remember/prompt/check visits to the loo :D
Bag is changed weekly. Cathether itself is changed 8-or12-weekly by District Nurse*.
Typically empty 3x during the day.

With Dad's confusion, etc., his perception of it has gone from:-
"It's the latest technology; everybody will get them soon" :cool: to
"I don't think this does anything anymore; I'll get the Nurse to remove it" :confused:
The only problem we get is occasional sore bits in general groin area - not necessarily connected & he doesn't complain about them.

I'm under the impression (no research- welcome to be corrected) that long-term it gets progressively harder to catheterise, which is when the supra-pubic option comes into the picture.

*Occasionally District Nurse fails an insertion, & we get sent to hospital to have it done "by a pro" :)rolleyes:), same day.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Hi Dan
I had a stroke a short while back and lost all the control I had. I got a urinary catheter put in while I was in hospital and it works for me so long as my wife empties it. My left hand doesn't work anymore.
I have been told that I will probably need a suprapubic catheter in about 5 years
John