Caring for mom who has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Christine67

Jun 19, 2022
Good morning @SERENA50
Thank you for your reply,we have filled in the attendance allowance form and sent that off. Phew what a long form. In the process of looking at the LPA now so things are moving along there. Mom lives in a lovely little bungalow in a sheltered scheme I guess you would call it. Mom had a couple of falls a couple of months ago which was down to a urine infection. Her bungalow is very well adapted but we had a chat with the OT team and had a chair for her walk in shower and a perching stool by her wash hand basin. One thing with mom for the last few months is her refusal to shower or have a wash. I have also noticed changes in foods she use to like but doesn't like anymore. There has been a decline in her making herself a evening meal so now when I am over or another family member we will make her a cooked light lunch and that way we know she has eaten at least one hot meal. She will always have breakfast which is cereal. She had begun just having a sandwich for her evening meal which I feel is fine on occassions but preferably not every evening. She knows how to use her cooker. We take it a day at a time right now. She has now been on meds for a week today and is doing well remembering the time she takes it on the evening. We brought a great electronic calendar which she has on the table next to her and a box with the days of the week on for her meds.
Thank you for your kind words about my new job
Christine ?

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Just to add that it is also worth setting up LPOA for ourselves BEFORE we reach the stage of it becoming so difficult. It can then lie dormant until needed.