Carers now arriving with ppe

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I was on here before but my laptop died with all my saved logins and passwords so I have just opened a new account.
This is just an update regarding ppe and mums carers visiting our home,I had been getting a bit uptight about the situation,but I'm pleased to say the girls arrived today wearing masks and visors,it has to be better than nothing,I was concerned about anyone sneezing during hay fever season as they could be asymptomatic but at least the masks offer a little protection from that,at least I can try and relax a little now

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome back to the forum, Willow73.
When the carers who help with my partner first started wearing masks and then wearing overalls I got worried that things were getting serious in our extra care housing, but after the shock I agree it is reassuring when they take these precautions.

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks folks,I think the girls felt a little concerned themselves as they had been bumping in to district nurses at clients homes over the last few weeks who had been wearing visors and masks

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I did manage to get some gloves and aprons from the LA in case I need them in the future,they were obtained after speaking to ss and I had to send an e mail saying how many care visits we had etc,I collected them a few weeks ago,I will buy a couple of bloxes of gloves myself though

beautifulmind1

May 2, 2020
I am concerned that my relative's hourly carers are not always wearing Face masks when they arrive. Relative is going on 90 years old and I have expressed my concern to the Agency. who has said their carers have all been supplied with masks and gloves.
The carers never used to wear any masks but one or two now do at my relative's request.
My relative is in good physical health.

Yesterday a carer refused to wear a mask pointblank.
I cannot understand why because I thought the carers would be glad of any kind of barrier protection during this deadly pandemic no matter how little for themselves as well as their clients.

I listen to the Government's recent advice that carers wearing masks may offer some protection to vulnerable clients.

I suspect the agency is short of masks and the carers are saving them for clients who have covid-19.
Though they are expensive I would be happy to purchase them myself for the carers to use a new mask every time they attend.
I am not sure if I am allowed to supply masks or any other protective item.

My worry is that if I make a fuss the agency will stop sending carers and leave my vulnerable relative in the lurch.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums @beautifulmind1. I was trying to find some official guidelines on ppe for carers and had no luck. It seems odd that carers would refuse to wear masks, the ones who visit my partner have had masks and aprons for a couple of weeks. Is your relative paying for care or does the local authority contract them and pay for it?
In your position and it's only my opinion it has to be worth speaking to the care manager again, and if you don't get anywhere then speak to the Care Quality Commission and Social Services. If your relative should end up without care then Adult Social Services have a duty of care.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I was trying to find some official guidelines on ppe for carers and had no luck.

The guidance is frequently updated but the most recent I can see with regards PPE whilst delivering care in someone's home states that gloves & plastic apron should be worn as a minimum, and face masks worn if any member of the household is a suspected or confirmed covid-19 case or in the highly vulnerable group and shielding:

beautifulmind1

May 2, 2020
It seems to take a while for the .gov site to catch up and post latest findings on the web.
I know government guidelines keep changing as I have subscribed and get regular updates.
I heard on t.v. just 2 - 3 days ago a Government Minister and Medical Adviser say that wearing of masks or face coverings by social carers does offer some protection to vulnerable clients.
It is repeated daily on the news that the elderly, people with dementia and Hypertension among other illnesses are most at risk and therefore in the vulnerable category.

beautifulmind1

May 2, 2020
Please accept my apology nae sporran and thank you for your comment. I was so eager to see any replies I went right past yours without noticing.
Yes my relative pays in full for their own care privately. They are known to Social Services.

I will add that I am generally pleased with the carers from this agency. They are all good and some are exceptionally good going over and above what the care package says.
I know the present situation with this disease presents the agency with additional problems with regards to having enough staff etc. Some of my relative's regular carers seem to have disappeared though they still work for the company and now there is a procession of newly trained inexperienced carers. At least 6 in the last couple of weeks. I am worried that there are so many different people going to the house after having been to other possibly seriously ill clients just minutes before. Maybe not wearing masks etc.
I know there are risks but would worry less if some of the more experienced regular carers we used to have and trust looked after my relative for at least most of the week. Maybe I am expecting too much?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Please accept my apology nae sporran and thank you for your comment. I was so eager to see any replies I went right past yours without noticing.
Yes my relative pays in full for their own care privately. They are known to Social Services.

I will add that I am generally pleased with the carers from this agency. They are all good and some are exceptionally good going over and above what the care package says.
I know the present situation with this disease presents the agency with additional problems with regards to having enough staff etc. Some of my relative's regular carers seem to have disappeared though they still work for the company and now there is a procession of newly trained inexperienced carers. At least 6 in the last couple of weeks. I am worried that there are so many different people going to the house after having been to other possibly seriously ill clients just minutes before. Maybe not wearing masks etc.
I know there are risks but would worry less if some of the more experienced regular carers we used to have and trust looked after my relative for at least most of the week. Maybe I am expecting too much?
No need to apologise, it's a stressful time for everyone. I just wish I could help you better.

willow73

Apr 27, 2020
I am concerned that my relative's hourly carers are not always wearing Face masks when they arrive. Relative is going on 90 years old and I have expressed my concern to the Agency. who has said their carers have all been supplied with masks and gloves.
The carers never used to wear any masks but one or two now do at my relative's request.
My relative is in good physical health.

Yesterday a carer refused to wear a mask pointblank.
I cannot understand why because I thought the carers would be glad of any kind of barrier protection during this deadly pandemic no matter how little for themselves as well as their clients.

I listen to the Government's recent advice that carers wearing masks may offer some protection to vulnerable clients.

I suspect the agency is short of masks and the carers are saving them for clients who have covid-19.
Though they are expensive I would be happy to purchase them myself for the carers to use a new mask every time they attend.
I am not sure if I am allowed to supply masks or any other protective item.

My worry is that if I make a fuss the agency will stop sending carers and leave my vulnerable relative in the lurch.
That's an awkward one isn't it with the carer not wanting to wear the mask,I would ring the office and request them to do so,and they will contact the carers with a text and tell them that you have requested it,I had to say to one of the girls today could she keep it on until she leaves the home as she took it off while she was standing writing the notes,I live with mum and I have diabetes so I want to feel protected too.I had already had a carer that didn't want to wear an apron as she said they were too small,I think sometimes the carers seem a bit oblivious to what's going on,I'm wondering if they ever watch the news!
My mums carers have a mask to wear for each shift not for each visit so 1 for the breakfast call and then they will wear that at the other clients calls at breakfast and so on and then a fresh one for the clients at lunch ,to be honest I was surprised they were even given that many so I'm not going to complain.
Social care ppe doesn't seem to get much of a mention,the focus seems to be on care homes,which of course are important but people at home need to be protected too.
Don't worry about contacting the office,have a good polite chat with them and keep them on side, and try and build a little rapport with them,you will often find the people in the office want to keep people happy