CARERS GROUP AT RESIDENTIAL CARE HOME

ALFORD

Mar 21, 2016
My wife, who has Alzheimers Disease, entered residential care some eight months ago. Whilst regularly visiting her, I have briefly met relatives/ friends of other residents who are in the Home, and perhaps inevitably, we exchange views/comments about the care being provided

I, and I believe they , would welcome an opportunity to get together and talk beyond the individual snatched conversations we currently have

Has anyone set up or had experience of involvement with a “Carers Group specifically related to a Residential Home which offers the opportunity to meet in or outside the Home (without the presence of “ management representatives of the Home” ) ?

How did “Home management” react to the establishment of the Group and any matters brought to their attention by the Group?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point [ DTP ] @ALFORD

Has anyone set up or had experience of involvement with a “Carers Group specifically related to a Residential Home which offers the opportunity to meet in or outside the Home (without the presence of “ management representatives of the Home” ) ?

What a wonderful idea.

I don`t know of any such group but I think it would be a great source of mutual support and social activity.

Is there a local pub or cafe where you could all meet.

If this does work out and you manage to arrange something, please post updates. It might help others on Dementia Talking Point to organise something similar.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There was a support group at my mother's nursing home. There was a social worker involved but no home staff at all. I don't know who organized it. It was a good group for those who could not attend other support groups.