carers for partner living at home

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
can anyone tell me how this works out if you have a disabled partner living at home? Just beginning to look at this and curious to know how well it works

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi bdemused1

My husband is disabled - he'd been diagnosed with dementia a few years before and then after 5 months hospitalisation ended up unable to walk. Eventually I brought him home once social workers and hospital teams had been able to put a care package into place.

I assume that your partner hasn't been through this stage but would suggest that you contact your GP and the Social Services Dept and arrange for an assessment of your partner's needs and yours too. He may be able to receive carers coming in a number of times a day, possible day care/luncheon clubs and financial assistance.

I wish you luck, but keep pushing until you get what is needed.

Benjie

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
thanks for reply benjie, have done all this and so far it would appear that we are entitled to nothing. husband refuses to be assessed other than his physical needs and ss told me when i had a carers assessment that we might just as well go straight to agencies. self funding here means just that-you're on your own. they did refer me to Age uk and will put him on the e.emergency respite register but that's it.
But we are stuck again in one of those loops where errors were made inthe carer assessment form done over the phone and everything is on hold while its corrected.

Last edited:

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Bemused, hi
Being self funding can be a really positive situation as it means that you are in control of what happens. Have you contacted any local care agencies to see what they have to offer, if you like them, trust them and feel that you can work with them, it's not an easy process but I found one agency who employed a great carer, a young man who was lovely with hubby, really caring and very happy to do whatever hubby wanted or needed to give me a break.

Good luck in your search, day care centers are also out there but need vetting to make sure that they have the right staffing and facilities.

Being on the register for emergency respite is wonderful, if or when you need it you have got the paperwork in place already.

I hope that they mistakes on the assessment are put right soon and you can find the support and help that you need to make life much better for you both.
With best wishes from Jo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie