Carers credit

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
Hi

I'm looking to apply for carers credit and looking at the form there is a section titled 'other information'. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming and what if anything they included in this section. I care for both mom and dad who are both in receipt of Attendance Allowance. Mom is the one who needs most help as she suffers from Alzheimer's. I've only just realised I'm eligible for this as I assumed I would need to be spending at least 20 hours at their home but now realise the other stuff I do for them also counts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hi @sheffieldeagle , firstly do you work? If so how much do you earn .
There is carers allowance
Your earnings need to be are £139 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses and be caring for 35 hours a week.
If you are working you can have carers credit
This is not a financial amount but it means that gaps in your NI can be filled to ensure your state pension is at the highest level ( dependant on your employment history)

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I'm not working and not claiming any benefit. I wasn't considering carers allowance as I don't think I do 35 hours. I have read where people seem to think being available when needed is seen as part of the caring hours but I don't quite feel comfortable with that. I just don't want to miss out on my pension.

Cheers

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I had carers credit when I was hands on caring for mum. It was two years ago I applied and I don’t remember it being difficult. I don’t think I had to send in any sort of proofs either.

Do keep an eye on the time you are spending and don’t dismiss carers allowance

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
I did think as mom's condition deteriorates carers allowance may become more relevant. Thanks for your thoughts. Can you remember what if anything you put in the additional info box?

Cheers

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I can’t remember- but i think I would have reiterated the eligibility and confirmed I met it

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I claimed carer's allowance for my mother in law when she was still living in her own home. She had a private care agency 7 days a week first thing in the morning and later to prepare lunch. But I was still doing so much that I quickly found I could cover the 35 hours easily. She refused personal care even from the carers, but nevertheless there was still a lot going on.

I was with her evenings , facilitating meetings with and organising podiatry, doctors, medical appointments. I was taking her shopping, out to day centres and collecting her , out to garden centres at weekends, organising the carer situation, covering when the agency couldn't supply a carer ( she was semi rural) , sorting out her finances with LPA. I would meet with her befriending service at her home, facilitate the home library service . I bought her clothes on line, took them round to her , was "on call " for her emergencies, that inevitably became more frequent . There was one evening when my husband and I spent hours sorting out a lighting issue for her .

I bought her microwave meals and delivered them to her , took over her laundry after she lost the ability to use the washing machine. Her post was redelivered to me which took a while to respond to. Not counting the hours at weekends when my husband and I just sat with her for a few hours. It obviously was enough to convince the DWP. Eventually she went into care as she was no longer safe at home

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its not just the "hands on" care that counts. Rosettastone has given a very good list of the things that count that are easily overlooked.

If you are caring for your mum AND your dad, and both are eligible for Attendance Allowance, then Im almost certain that you will be doing 35 hrs a week caring - if not a whole lot more!!

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
Yes time soon mounts up as you say. I may well be in a similar situation before I know it. Mom's done so well so far. She was first diagnosed back in 2017.

Cheers

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes time soon mounts up as you say.
Sit down and make a list of everything that you do for your mum - from making her a cup of tea, going shopping, to organising appointments and taking her out (dont forget to add the time getting her ready!). Include absolutely everything - even things like querying a bill and remember that all the while you are with her you are caring, even if you feel you arnt doing anything apart from chatting to her. Keep adding to the list as you think of things/do things. After a week, Im betting there will be much more on the list than you thought

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
I do find myself thinking I don't have enough time to feel like I'm caring because of all the practical stuff I must admit. She's so much happier when I finally stop and find time to just sit and have a cuppa.

Thanks again

Soli99

Dec 20, 2023
Hi Yes I just wrote down in an English explanation exactly what I was doing day to day. In short I was spending nearly 24/7 looking after mom. I got the full amount straight away. Mind it is only £76 a week so I'm really living off my savings which long term means the state will have to start looking after me at some point as I'll have nothing left for my own retirement !

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Just registered mom's LPA with the bank and this will be next on the agenda.

Cheers

Soli99

Dec 20, 2023
I found Lloyds bank very good for LPA, some of the building society's are good in that phone apps allow access to your account and the account you are an LPA for. Some such as Skipton seem to struggle if you have your own account and one is an LPA, there App doesn't allow it and the web based system seems to get confused and ask you to re-register all the damn time !

sheffieldeagle

Nov 15, 2017
I found Lloyds bank very good for LPA, some of the building society's are good in that phone apps allow access to your account and the account you are an LPA for. Some such as Skipton seem to struggle if you have your own account and one is an LPA, there App doesn't allow it and the web based system seems to get confused and ask you to re-register all the damn time !
Cheers for that. NatWest process seems straight forward and can be done online. Fingers crossed.