Carer taking control

ShirleyB1954

Mar 28, 2024
My mother in law and his stepfather have employed a carer privately. The carer has taken responsibility for all of my in laws medical needs, we are not made aware of any issues ( some quite serious) and tells us that the in laws don't want us to know. She has also taken control of all of their finances, she has her debit cards and takes them to the bank regularly. She discourages us visiting, which we continue to do.
What can we do?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Do your in-laws have mental capacity? Does anyone have LPA for your in-laws. Sorry for the questions but something sounds off here and the more info , the easier it is to advise.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My mother in law and his stepfather have employed a carer privately. The carer has taken responsibility for all of my in laws medical needs, we are not made aware of any issues ( some quite serious) and tells us that the in laws don't want us to know. She has also taken control of all of their finances, she has her debit cards and takes them to the bank regularly. She discourages us visiting, which we continue to do.
What can we do?
This really doesn't sound right. Does anyone have POA or indeed does the carer??

MaNaAk

backin

Feb 6, 2024
Ask to see the power of attorney document. If the carer doesn't have one, then inform the bank as the carer has no right to hold the bank cards

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Is the carer from a proper recognised care agency or is it someone who is "known" to your in-laws. Either way alarm bells would be ringing for me, especially regarding controlling the bank cards and medications. I think you are going to have to do some serious checking about the carer, and sooner rather than later.

Good Luck

BobblesBonBon

May 13, 2022
I think you should contact Adult Social Services and raise a safeguarding concern - get them to investigate this.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
I agree with everything that's been said by others, something is not right , have you spoken to your inlaws about it ..