Carer-Oriented Monitoring of Dementia

LuLuCarer

Nov 17, 2011
I was recently involved in a pilot study for a new device which is like an iPad, and allows you to monitor daily functioning for the person you are caring for. Apparently, the benefit is that your GP/public health nurse can log in to the system and be informed of any issues in advance of their visits. I have noticed an improvement in communication with my GP, and he is more clued in about all aspects of my Dad's functioning, so when he became aggressive recently, he saw from the information I had filled out that it was most likely a UTI causing the problem, which indeed it was.
Was wondering if anyone has heard of devices like this that are available commercially? I feel I have so much information to give my doctor, but when I go in, I never remember to tell him everything and then it has to wait for the next visit!

bethan

Dec 15, 2009
I dont often look at this section so apologies for the late reply.
I was a long distance carer for my mum, but would pick up on changes in her wellbeing during daily ( evening) phone calls.
I looked up her GPs e-mail addressa nd for 12 months or more we communicated by e-mail, so if i felt mum was getting an infection I would e-mail her and ask for a visit and a test.
The Community Matron and I used to text each other info all the time.
Being able to do this really helped as I knew the info had reached them. Especially with the GP where the alternative was to hang around for ages waiting for a call back.They used to let me know when they were on hols or away for any reason
Beth

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Tick box online

No experience of what you mention BUT my hubby asked me the other day what I thought about an ONLINE TICK SHEET on TP. for example answer 10 questions about a loved one (obviously there may be privacy restrictions). The tick sheet would act as a diary of progression, so for example in our case, the major facts would be diagnosed 8 weeks ago, has had memory probs for 5 or 6 years, taking ebixa due to slow heart rate, care being provided by us.

My hubby thought that if members were allowed to do this, it may point us to threads that already exist far easier. What do you think.

Similarly, if this were done on a secure server, doctors, carers, social services etc could access this INFORMATION in THIS AN INFORMATION AGE !

Your post was really interesting, hubby has an iphone and was 500 miles away last week and magically PRINTED a document from 500 miles away at mums house that I needed to fill in. Technology at its best, I dont understand how, but I was stressed and via the iphone my hubby relieved my stress