Carer for mum with dementia

Gc27

Jul 12, 2024
I have been caring for my mum bedbound with dementia for over 8 years. It has taken a physical and mental toll on my health as I have terrible anxiety and depression aswell. Any other guys in this situation?

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Hi
Over the last few years I have paid for councelling when the anxiety, grief and depession was too much to bear. I don'r have much money but I saw it as a priority. It has really helped me and now my Dad has been in a care home for 2 years I am getting back to my old self.

Do you have any support for yourself as a human being rather than as your mums carer ?

xxx

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Hello @Gc27 I don't have experience of caring for someone bedbound and I'm very lucky in that I don't get anxiety or depression. But I just wanted to say welcome. You have treated your mum wonderfully - she is very lucky to have such a caring child. Hopefully you will find some beneficial support here. Do you have any carers coming in to help you?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and firstly welcome @Gc27 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your Mum and her being bedbound for so long. That is tough on you as a carer. Do you have any extra help or support. Otherwise I am not surprised you are feeling as you do. Please do reach out for support. The link below gives details of the AS contact line: They are open tomorrow from 10am:

Gc27

Jul 12, 2024
Hi
Over the last few years I have paid for councelling when the anxiety, grief and depession was too much to bear. I don'r have much money but I saw it as a priority. It has really helped me and now my Dad has been in a care home for 2 years I am getting back to my old self.

Do you have any support for yourself as a human being rather than as your mums carer ?

xxx
Not at the moment