Care workers

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
After caring for my husband for the past three years solely, I am feeling very isolated, so I want to go to carers meeting and meet like minded people. I organise a company to come in every Wednesday before 10am, to help get my husband up, showered, dressed and give breakfast. First week they came on Tuesday 11am, following weeks wednesday 11.40. 10.55,12.10. Different person so I had to go through what was needed and where everything was. By the time they arrived I had got my husband up, and I never managed to get to the meeting. I have canceled this firm and asked around with different companies but I been told I would have the same problem. How do you get out ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry you are having such a hassle with carers, Reman. We had three different care companies and a lot of complaints before finding a reliable one. You just have to email and then phone the agency manager to let them know how you feel about being messed around, politely of course. :rolleyes: Seriously, we found the good one through social services, but if you are self funding the care quality commission reports are worth a look.
The other option is day centre or lunch club, I found a good one through a recommendation from someone at the carers support group, so it may be worth contacting the organiser or your local carers support centre in advance to see what they can do.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/2...1360.1519998619-604353012.1519998619#!/search or
https://carers.org/

This forum is invaluable for support, but face to face chats with people going through the same problems, with coffee and biscuits, is a great form of respite and support. I hope any of that is helpful and you can get out.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello @Reman and I'm sorry to hear about this problem.
It is a difficult one. It's no help to you but just to explain.....care agencies do tend to go to most clients on a daily basis and these people are usually first in the queue for a regular and convenient spot. So I agree with what you've been told, a once a week visit will always tend to be allocated to whichever care worker is free, and whenever.
So, from your point of view, I wonder whether you would consider employing someone on an entirely private basis? There are independent care workers in lots of parts of the country, who are qualified and registered as self employed. Your local council - or indeed the carers group - may have a list of them. Or you could advertise in a local paper? Perhaps ask other attendees of the group how they manage?
It would be a pity to give up going, when you so obviously need this contact.
Good luck!
Lindy xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You might want to look into Day Care Centre your husband could attend for full days. Have you had a carers assessment yet?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
After caring for my husband for the past three years solely, I am feeling very isolated, so I want to go to carers meeting and meet like minded people. I organise a company to come in every Wednesday before 10am, to help get my husband up, showered, dressed and give breakfast. First week they came on Tuesday 11am, following weeks wednesday 11.40. 10.55,12.10. Different person so I had to go through what was needed and where everything was. By the time they arrived I had got my husband up, and I never managed to get to the meeting. I have canceled this firm and asked around with different companies but I been told I would have the same problem. How do you get out ?

When I started carers for MIL on an ad hoc basis twice a week it was whoever was available. MIL is self funding and the agency were so short staffed that she often got different people . I get a roster in advance of who's coming and times. If a carer is going to be late I get a phone call. I'm afraid you have to be on top of these agencies and be vociferous to get help.

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
Have move on to having care for my OH 3 times a day, with an extra 3hrs one day a week so I can take my 94 year old mother out food shopping. I had a phone call from the manager this morning saying they will have to cancel the contract, as my OH has the habit of kicking when his socks and trousers are being put on. Have been ask to tell my OH that its not acceptable, which I understand, but the care worker said she didn't realise he had Dementia! So I will have to find another agency, just some days it to much.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Have move on to having care for my OH 3 times a day, with an extra 3hrs one day a week so I can take my 94 year old mother out food shopping. I had a phone call from the manager this morning saying they will have to cancel the contract, as my OH has the habit of kicking when his socks and trousers are being put on. Have been ask to tell my OH that its not acceptable, which I understand, but the care worker said she didn't realise he had Dementia! So I will have to find another agency, just some days it to much.
Whilst it should probably have been obvious to the agency when they presumably did the home assessment before care commenced you need to explain and describe your OH care needs in terms of his dementia so that they are fully aware of being able to provide a carer with experience and understanding of dementia not just general care and look for an agency that can do that. However, even with experience some dementia challenges are too difficult for agency carers to handle.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
The carers my mother-in-law had were originally to help with her mobility problems this was before the dementia diagnosis . Once the diagnosis was made I then updated the agency in writing as to what the difficulties now were and to make sure that her needs were covered by the carer . As I said in my previous post in this thread you really have to spell it out for some of the agencies as to exactly what is needed and make sure it's put on the care plan. But as other posters have already said it comes to the point sometimes where the care agency simply won't tolerate any sort of aggression and you need to look at alternative arrangements

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5