Care planning experience?

Zsazsa

Jul 20, 2014
Somerset
Hi, I just had my Carer's Assessment and among other info was told about a local care planning organisation which has joined forces with a firm of solicitors and they offer a free discussion of your situation.
I am really worried about how I will manage to pay for my DH's care at home and perhaps later in a CH as I'm also financially/practically/emotionally supporting my daughter who's a single parent.
Has anyone any experience of care planning and what it entails? I have to get a new LPA which involves health and welfare too, as the EPAs we got in 2005 don't include that element, so I thought I might get it all done at the same time.
I've worked hard all my life (and am still working) and would so much like to give my daughter a leg up but now, since this cruel diagnosis, I don't feel my money is my own any more...
Sorry to bleat..I'm just frightened of the future and the loss of control for both my DH and myself.o

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hi, I just had my Carer's Assessment and among other info was told about a local care planning organisation which has joined forces with a firm of solicitors and they offer a free discussion of your situation.
I am really worried about how I will manage to pay for my DH's care at home and perhaps later in a CH as I'm also financially/practically/emotionally supporting my daughter who's a single parent.
Has anyone any experience of care planning and what it entails? I have to get a new LPA which involves health and welfare too, as the EPAs we got in 2005 don't include that element, so I thought I might get it all done at the same time.
I've worked hard all my life (and am still working) and would so much like to give my daughter a leg up but now, since this cruel diagnosis, I don't feel my money is my own any more...
Sorry to bleat..I'm just frightened of the future and the loss of control for both my DH and myself.o

Just a quick point re the POAs. If you already have the 'old' EPOA for finance it is still valid; you only need to register it if you haven't already. So you only need a new LPA for health and welfare.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Whoever makes a financial assessment will only take your DH's finances into account, NOT your own. If you have a joint account, half of it will be deemed yours and half of it his. I think this kind of service is a good idea if they for example tell you what benefits your DH might get in addition to what he might have already. You can also apply for Attendance Allowance for him (not means-tested) plus try to get a Council Tax reduction for him on the grounds of his severe mental impairment.