Care package

Hera

Jan 9, 2013
Shropshire
My Aunt (89) has lived with us for 5yrs after the death of my mum (who she lived with since 1977) She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2yrs ago and cannot take any of the drugs for the condition due to heart problems. Recently we had the help of a social worker who arranged a care package for 1 and a 1/2 days a week while we care for our grandson. So far she has had 3 weeks of care with 9 different carers coming to our home, despite the SW stating that she needs continuity of carers to minimise confusion, the carers come, don't know the key safe number, don't make her sandwiches if she says she is not hungry and generally appear ill equipped to manage the situation - is this the norm with care agencies - I feel more anxious with carers coming in than I did before - and we now have 9 people who know the key safe combination to our house which gives me concern. Can anyone comment - I am going to contact the social worker today - but I don't want to appear complaining

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
My Aunt (89) has lived with us for 5yrs after the death of my mum (who she lived with since 1977) She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2yrs ago and cannot take any of the drugs for the condition due to heart problems. Recently we had the help of a social worker who arranged a care package for 1 and a 1/2 days a week while we care for our grandson. So far she has had 3 weeks of care with 9 different carers coming to our home, despite the SW stating that she needs continuity of carers to minimise confusion, the carers come, don't know the key safe number, don't make her sandwiches if she says she is not hungry and generally appear ill equipped to manage the situation - is this the norm with care agencies - I feel more anxious with carers coming in than I did before - and we now have 9 people who know the key safe combination to our house which gives me concern. Can anyone comment - I am going to contact the social worker today - but I don't want to appear complaining

Continuity of care is so important. I am sure your S W will understand this and they should be able to help you ensure that you get familiar faces in the house. They should not see you as complaining but making a sensible point. Good luck. G L

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Social Worker probably does not know that the care agency are sending too many carers and it is the agency at fault, probably short staffed or their 'turn over' of staff is high. I know my attitude is tough towards agencies, but honestly if they can't keep up continuity then they should not be in the business.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I would certainly let the SW know about your concerns. You are right in believing that, whatever the reasons, this is an unacceptable level of service.