Care package

Tracey1964

Aug 1, 2021
My mum has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and also Alzheimer’s I have been waiting for 5 months for a care package. At the moment I have the local council coming in which they did do for 6 weeks when my mum came out of hospital they have extended this until a care company take it on. They have set it to twice a day which I wanted to give her more visit since in diagnosis but my council will not change this even though I have said I’m worried about her mental health. She is 90 years old and I just want the best care for her but no one seem to be listening I feel it’s down to money and mum will be only paying some of the cost so the council does want to pick up the rest of the bill. Has anyone got any advise to get the care my mum needs

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Tracey1964 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly and supportive site and you'll get lots of help and advice here.

I'm sure people who have experience of dealing with social services will be along shortly but I think you will just have to keep badgering them with reasons why your mother needs more than two visits a day. Have you spoken to her carers about what they think? My husbands family very much wanted to keep their mother at home, but the care company now think her needs are too great, and the family is looking at suitable care homes for her. If they think she needs more care that will add weight to your argument.

Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney for your mother? That will make organising help a little easier for you.

In the meantime have a look round the site. The search bar at the top of the page will help you find other posts about this topic.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
dont refuse what has been offered. If you do that SS will simply shrug their shoulders and let you get on with it. In their eyes, you will have been offered help and refused it.
Accept what SS have offered and then show that that this is not sufficient - keep a journal of all the things that show that she is at risk and needs more care.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Sadly we have been in this same position. A supportive GP will be a great advocate. The consultant that diagnosed your Mum again is a good point of contact, I emailed concerns to GP/ Complex Care Team/ Social Services; I was a complete pain by updating them continually with issues.
Admiral Nurse a great point of contact & gives me a chance to vent & useful advice.
Age UK as well helped with form filling & knowing what paperwork needed to be filled, also what financial help is available.
Meanwhile this site has a wealth of experience & knowledge & the phone support amazing.
Reaching out & asking for help was the hardest bit.
Every council has a Volunteer Service that can provide support & help. In fact there was soo much more out there than I realised.
Your local GP surgery will also have a support network, & it’s worthwhile asking.
Again local church will have a volunteer sitting service. A hours company / companionship for your loved one is helpful.
I found a lovely cleaner who came in for an hour a week , again a short time but any longer & Mum would become over tired.
Please don’t laugh but even a window cleaner, someone to mow the grass, all of these folks enriched Mums life- though she was adamant that it wasn’t necessary.
Ask about meals on wheels service - our local GP practice has a League of Friends who have volunteers delivering meals. My daughter ( 24) volunteers for this service & the 5 mins chat, banter & laughter while delivering the meal is enough to lift , & stimulate.
The Vicar used to bring communion once a fortnight, & chat. Pastoral care can play a part in supporting your loved one.
Mum resisted all initially , but if I’m honest it was my reaction to her resistance of accepting help that hindered me. Once I just shrugged & said well we could just try once it & see what you think … & if you don’t like it we won’t do that again - that worked!
Mobile chiropidist another service provider that every 6 weeks visited.
I know it’s not perfect but each of these services will provide a moment of companionship & help you alleviate worry’s
Best thing we ever did was instal ring doorbell system - runs off rechargeable battery but you do need broadband . We got broadband installed & the provider did a phone & broadband package for the same price as a landline only!
I know who visits , calls as a notification pings on the phone. It’s amazingly easy to set up - & again if you are unsure & need help the above community support networks will be able to help.
Don’t take no as a definitive answer from someone which dementia.
And ask for help … what’s the worst that can happen …
Lastly I am one of those hyper- sensitive folks who takes everything to heart as a personal slight….. it’s easy to let all of this dominate your life & time.
Nothing is perfect but each bit of help however small is better than nothing
X

Tracey1964

Aug 1, 2021
Thanks for all the advise, the trouble is I can’t get social services because mum hasn’t got a care package in place so no social worker.
Can’t get a social care team to take on mum because they are short of staff and also where she lives. Feel like I’m getting know where

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for all the advise, the trouble is I can’t get social services because mum hasn’t got a care package in place so no social worker.
Can’t get a social care team to take on mum because they are short of staff and also where she lives. Feel like I’m getting know where
Hi there,
In August you mentioned that, following the 6 week, short term support that was provided following your Mum's discharge from hospital, they would continue to provide support on a twice daily basis until a formal package of care became available. What happened to that support? (The reason I ask is that it is quite common for these teams to "hold" the case until such time as the case has been allocated to a home care assessor/ social work assistant (name varies depending on where you live).

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1