Care Home visiting banned 7 months and counting

Wishing20

Feb 27, 2020
Will we ever get to see our Loved Ones, currently locked in Care Homes?? I doubt it!
If you had to choose a Care Home now, what would you look for?
I‘d look for a small Home, with lower numbers of residents, with unrestricted garden access, a place where Management ensured they communicated with Relatives, weekly. A Person Centred place which fully catered for each individual’s needs.
The thing is once your Loved One is in a Home, its a massive event to take them out, so very few do.
If you are looking for a Care Home, think very very carefully.
Personally in these new times, I would avoid it, unless absolutely essential, arrange for as much Care to be brought into the Home, otherwise you will rarely see your Loved One and it feels like you loose complete control and the Home takes over.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My dad died nearly 4 years ago in a care home I visited every other day and stayed with him in hospital then also in the home for the last 2 weeks of his life. I was trying to think how I would have managed not checking on him and helping him during any of the 3 years he was in the home. I would have hated it in covid restrictions...for him, for me. If that time was now I really think I would not have placed him anywhere and continued at home buying in day care instead of his self funding care home. I may even have considered bringing him home if balanced against hardly seeing him again. I realise even those options are not for everyone.

It really is difficult at the moment and my heart goes out to everyone who has a loved one in a care home.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
This is the first time I have been glad OH died when he did, 5 years ago. I really don’t know how either of us would have coped with the present restrictions.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
It had crossed my mind to bring mum home, but there is no way I would be able to care for her on my own at home -even with carers coming in she is too advanced now. Sometimes there is nothing more to be done in that sense other than accept the situation. Everything was working out ok until covid and lockdown and well, here we are. Making the decision on placing someone into care is difficult enough and emotionally draining and also hard for the pwd as they also try to adapt. Cheated by dementia, and cheated by this whole situation -double whammy