Care home resident eviction

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, @SeaSwallow it does happen a lot.

When someone goes into hospital from a care home the hospital has to check with the care home that they can still meet their needs before discharging them back. The care home has the right to say that they cant - and to be honest, I wouldnt want my PWD to go back to a home that cannot meet their needs.

Some homes that are struggling to meet the needs of a resident do use this ploy instead of issuing a 28 days notice

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I agree with canary, a care home is a care home what might be needed now is a nursing home.
If a home felt they couldn't meet the needs of a person it would be, at best, irresponsible to take them back and possibly dangerous for the other residents.
K

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
This sounds to me like there was a communication issue. The lady shouldn't have been discharged at 1.30am by the hospital without the hospital having confirmed the care home would take her back.

As has been said it is quite common for care homes not to take residents back from hospital and the hospital should have known this.

I don't think the care home is at fault.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Yes, @SeaSwallow it does happen a lot.

When someone goes into hospital from a care home the hospital has to check with the care home that they can still meet their needs before discharging them back. The care home has the right to say that they cant - and to be honest, I wouldnt want my PWD to go back to a home that cannot meet their needs.

Some homes that are struggling to meet the needs of a resident do use this ploy instead of issuing a 28 days notice
Exactly @canary there was no notice given and apparently according to the report this is not the only instance.
I also agree that the hospital should not have been discharging someone at that time of the morning. The hospital social worker should have ensured this did not happen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
there was no notice given
They dont have to if its following a hospital admission
Some care homes will use this ploy to avoid having to give notice, but I dont think a care home that did this would be a good care home and it is probably for the best. The article mentioned that some care homes do this because the relatives annoy them, but from the relatives view point, why would you want your PWD in a home that is not listening to your concerns? It probably means that the home is not meeting their needs.

The hospital was at fault with not checking that the care home would have her back. I know that every time my mum ended up in hospital they always checked that the care home would take her back (even though I knew they would). If the care home wont accept her back the hospital SWs should have picked this up before discharge and it would be their responsibility to find somewhere that could meet her needs and would accept her

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You can bet there is a lot more to the story than has been published.

Doesnt sound as though the lady was admitted- makes you wonder perhaps what happened before she went to the hospital