care home place[

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
been looking round some homes for future. how do you go on when you need a home but the one you want doesn't have a vacancy. I am finding some i like but they may not have a room in the future. Just wondered how everyone else has found a home for their relative and been able to access it. Do you have to wait until the last minute.

Does this make sense.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Pammy,
We put mum's name down on a waiting list. At Christmas we realised that we needed a place, and there wasn't one. Told it was likely to be March. 10 days later we got a call saying a place had become available. (This may have been partly to do with me speaking to the care co-ordinator and saying that things were getting desperate, an OT visiting and backing me up.) The thing you have to remember Pammy is the turnover rate can be quite high in Nursing Homes. In three months there were 9 deaths where mum is, and I think it has a capacity of 30!
Love
Helen

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Yes, I agree with Helen Pammy. Get yourself on the waiting list ....... the way I understand it, it's worth getting on the waiting lists of all the homes that you think are OK. If it's how it was with dad, the waiting list doesn't imply any comittment on your part. My experience similar to Helen's. Put dad on a waiting list and he was about 8th on the list. Only about 3 weeks later they rang to offer him a place. Not only is there the high turn over as Helen says, there's also the possibility that others on the waiting list above you find alternative accommodation ..... and you're soon up the top of the list.

best wishes with it

Áine