Care home music/ style

Victoriag77

Mar 5, 2023
Firstly I'd like to point out that this a light hearted comment and not a criticism of care home staff. But has anyone noticed that care homes seem to think that all residents are extremely ancient and only consumed culture & entertainment from 100 years ago?

Where my Mum is the music they play is from the 1930s/ 40s and all the decor has posters which are vintage style from the 20s/30s . My Mum is in her 70s as are a lot of the residents. They were young people in the 60s and my Mum loved Elvis, The Beatles and Abba not Dame Vera Lynn and Glenn Miller.

It is obviously not a big issue (I have mentioned it in passing to them in a lighthearted way as I get it's not the home's biggest priority!) but it just struck me that when I inevitably end up in a care home in 30 years time will they still be playing post war tunes ;)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I feel as you do @Victoriag77. Although I do love the music from the 30s, 40s and so on it’s not my era. I would be tempted to have a proper conversation with someone at the home about it. I know they will have other priorities but I do think it’s something they should be considering.

I wonder if they’d be up for using this online radio station. You can choose the decade you want to play and there are no ads!

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Good point although there are people in their 90s living in care homes and I think that the war era music remained popular for a long time after the war.

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Yes ! That's a good point and one I raised with my Dads carehome. It turns out that my Dad was not the only Classic Rock fan in resedence so Status Quo, Genesis and Bon Jovi are now regularly played and requested when there are visiting entertainers.
I bought Dad a Status Quo t-shirt and one of the other chaps wears a Tom Petty one to remind everyone.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think the hollywood greats of cinema went right through 50s 60s. i think its assumed that the warsongs would connect as music their mum used to listen to so provoke memories. my husband was born after the war so yes his era is 60s when he was a teenager with long hair and afghan coats. he likes country. maybe they should play a mixture of music of the decade. maybe a request box.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
A few random thoughts, based on my experience looking after Mum and her tapping toes for years, and now inflicting my singing on folk at dementia groups and in a few care homes.

First, I initially hated all the old tunes... they can be very... dispiriting in a way, especially when played slowly. But I've learned the hard way to avoid the old standards at my peril. These songs filter down via aural osmosis from one generation to the next... whether we like it or not! So I always warm up with the (very) old favourites, though I do like to spice things up a bit by playing slower the first time, then speeding up for a repeat to make it more cheerful, once memories have hopefully been jogged... though, to be fair, there are a lot of very elderly people with perfect recall of the old standards. And they aren't shy of telling me if I miss a verse or get something wrong! :)

Another thing about the old songs and themes... a lot of folk with dementia are missing their parents, and the general familiarity and safety of their very distant youth. So even if they were born after such songs'd had their heyday, they grew up in an environment where that period of music and culture was still strong. It may be comforting to many to be swaddled in the distant past. Heck, it's getting that way for me too, the way the world's going. Somedays I think they're the lucky ones, oblivious to the present day!

But clearly nobody wants it to be all ancient stuff, especially in mixed environments with carers (especially outside care homes) and a cross-generational audience. So my repertoire has a lot of bits and pieces from through the decades... usually memorable songs are memorable for a reason to any generation. I'm always surprised how many people know the chorus to "Those Were The Days" and "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".

However I'm also surprised sometimes by how little response other well known songs from the 60s/70s get (I'm looking at you, Roger Whittaker!) so I learned to bale out of songs quickly if they get no traction, or just to sing choruses even on some that do. But if all is going to pot, I resort to "Side by Side", "You Are My Sunshine" and "Daisy, Daisy". Because everyone knows them and they are the most likely to get the most people singing along, lifting the group again. And it's the communal singing that matters more than what's being sung. So the core of the repertoire is all "Hello Dolly" and "My Old Man's a Dustman" with plenty of attempts to drag things up the decades with Elvis and The Beatles and so on. I haven't inflicted Wonderwall on anyone yet, but give it another decade and who knows! :)

For everyday background in the care homes I visit, it's usually the telly, droning away... moving pictures, sound, voices, a hypnotic ticking away of time. But I won't be seeing things at a musical time, because when I/we turn up, we are the musical time. And I hear staff singing to folk in distant corridors, asking folk what they like, trying to please when they can, or continuing what we started, when we leave.

Another factor in care homes is trying to upset the least number of people for the maximum amount of time. The staff will know who gets upset at which songs... which songs perk up the folk who respond to little else. I had an occasion like that this week, when I sang a couple of songs to someone and her daughter in a side room. She responded so wonderfully to "Underneath the Arches" that it made me cry... which isn't good for your singing voice, I discovered.

Anyway... the point is that for all the statistical similarities we see in folk with dementia, trying to find a background atmosphere which keeps things as settled, and folk as reassured, as possible can't be easy. I get only the briefest of glimpses into care home life, but, on the whole, my limited experience has been pretty good. However I have seen that, as with the physical care side of things, a really good entertainment coordinator can make an awful lot of difference to a home. It's not an easy role, especially as budgets and time will naturally focus on keeping people safe.

So, er... music... maybe, at the heart of it there's an element of familiarity. I like a Chocolate Hobnob, but in my heart of hearts, nothing makes me feel that all's right with the world like a Rich Tea finger or Custard Cream. Because they were what I grew up with. And I realised recently that the musical repertoire I'd like to favour, and do when I can, is basically a Terry Wogan playlist from about 1975... when I was starting to pay attention to music. The past casts a very long shadow, and there are an awful lot of folk in the homes I visit that are in their 90s. Though when I say folk, I mean almost exclusively women.

Ok, I don't post here very often any more... I feel like I've lost my membership card as my caring duties recede. But dementia is the healthcare Hotel California... you can check out, but you can never leave!

Which is probably not a song I should try in a care home. :oops::) So I'll just add, before I shut up, all my best wishes to everyone still struggling, still caring, still loving, still singing along to songs they never thought they'd sing. I applaud each and every one of you. 👏

Right, I'm off to practice "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" again, 'cos I struggle to remember the chords and I really ought to know them by now!

Last edited:

Victoriag77

Mar 5, 2023
Yes ! That's a good point and one I raised with my Dads carehome. It turns out that my Dad was not the only Classic Rock fan in resedence so Status Quo, Genesis and Bon Jovi are now regularly played and requested when there are visiting entertainers.
I bought Dad a Status Quo t-shirt and one of the other chaps wears a Tom Petty one to remind everyone.
Love this!

Victoriag77

Mar 5, 2023
i think the hollywood greats of cinema went right through 50s 60s. i think its assumed that the warsongs would connect as music their mum used to listen to so provoke memories. my husband was born after the war so yes his era is 60s when he was a teenager with long hair and afghan coats. he likes country. maybe they should play a mixture of music of the decade. maybe a request box.
I read one comment once that it is weird they are so obsessed with playing wartime tunes as in reality the war years were not a fun time they would want to remember!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Funnily enough my mums home does play Elvis et al but my mum hated that music and loves the stuff from the war years ( both world wars) and classical music. One of the cares went to pop mums radio on for her the other day and they were both treated to Kiss fm hard rock… woke them all up a bit I think. 🤣🤣

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
At my husband's nursing home they often do sing a long and what I found fascinating was it was what I would describe as songs sung in schools in the 50s and 60s. Having all snoozed while a few of us did the heavy lifting they put on Coming round the mountain, Darling Clementine, Bonnie lies over the ocean and Somewhere over the rainbow. and they all joined in.You are my sunshine made them all cry. Danny boy made me cry I guess we all have our triggers

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The Dementia Choir I’m involved with has members who have dementia who range from their 40s to their almost 90s. We sing songs from every and any decade. We had a go at Bohemian Rhapsody the other week - thankfully there is no video evidence of this! 🤣. Boy did we all love it though. The next song we did was Cheek to Cheek from the 30s. 🎶

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Interesting thread as music is so important. I often sing with my Dad and even though neither of us are remotely religious, we both enjoy singing hymns. They take me right back to school days and assemblies and I guess similar memories for my Dad. We were both disappointed when the Christmas Carol singers came and sang more modern and original carols. Everyone perked up at Silent Night but looked very bored by the rest of it.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Haha! 😃 Well, what a luvvly jubbly fred this is, chinas! 😊
Just fought ad Dan Dare wiv yers some o the Vidals us gull kleptoparasites like in ar posse. Aggy the Aimer usually starts us off, an believe me, we ave ter foller! 😏

A lot of em are similar to what that geezer oo likes choccy Obnobs, sings above.

Roll Art The Barrel
Knees Up Muvver Brahn
Boiled Beef n Carrots (not ser keen on the carrots, guvs! 😉)
I've Got a Luvvly Bunch o Coconuts
Oh What a Beauty
Don't Dilly Dally on the Way (vital to us kleptos, chinas😏)

Oldies but goodies, mes amis, but a fink these ladies n gents wiv d would luv em all! 😀
Respect ter em! 😊

Sammy

Last edited:

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
It just occurred to me, being a bit slow on the uptake at the best of times, that there's one very good reason why those really old songs are so solidly a part of care home life... radio. Or rather, the lack of it, and then a pretty limited form of it.

Music is everywhere now... you can't move for some note-soup or other clogging your ears. TV, radio, phones, Spottydogify or whatever it's called. I'm 60 and don't remember a time when music wasn't everywhere and increasingly affordable... though standing in Boots admiring albums I couldn't afford was most definitely A Thing when I was a teenager.

But back when our elderly family were young, much of the music in circulation would still be on limited gramophone availability, the pub piano, the lips of your family, and eventually The Light Programme.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It's like that old TV programme "The Good Old Days", an anachronism even at the time. My wife will be 83 on Sunday. She went to school with Eric Burdon of the Animals and took part in the swinging sixties. She doesn't mind the old songs but Massive Attack, Iron Maiden and Boz Scaggs are more her thing. The Absolute Rock radio station would suit her fine.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A few random thoughts, based on my experience looking after Mum and her tapping toes for years, and now inflicting my singing on folk at dementia groups and in a few care homes.

First, I initially hated all the old tunes... they can be very... dispiriting in a way, especially when played slowly. But I've learned the hard way to avoid the old standards at my peril. These songs filter down via aural osmosis from one generation to the next... whether we like it or not! So I always warm up with the (very) old favourites, though I do like to spice things up a bit by playing slower the first time, then speeding up for a repeat to make it more cheerful, once memories have hopefully been jogged... though, to be fair, there are a lot of very elderly people with perfect recall of the old standards. And they aren't shy of telling me if I miss a verse or get something wrong! :)

Another thing about the old songs and themes... a lot of folk with dementia are missing their parents, and the general familiarity and safety of their very distant youth. So even if they were born after such songs'd had their heyday, they grew up in an environment where that period of music and culture was still strong. It may be comforting to many to be swaddled in the distant past. Heck, it's getting that way for me too, the way the world's going. Somedays I think they're the lucky ones, oblivious to the present day!

But clearly nobody wants it to be all ancient stuff, especially in mixed environments with carers (especially outside care homes) and a cross-generational audience. So my repertoire has a lot of bits and pieces from through the decades... usually memorable songs are memorable for a reason to any generation. I'm always surprised how many people know the chorus to "Those Were The Days" and "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".

However I'm also surprised sometimes by how little response other well known songs from the 60s/70s get (I'm looking at you, Roger Whittaker!) so I learned to bale out of songs quickly if they get no traction, or just to sing choruses even on some that do. But if all is going to pot, I resort to "Side by Side", "You Are My Sunshine" and "Daisy, Daisy". Because everyone knows them and they are the most likely to get the most people singing along, lifting the group again. And it's the communal singing that matters more than what's being sung. So the core of the repertoire is all "Hello Dolly" and "My Old Man's a Dustman" with plenty of attempts to drag things up the decades with Elvis and The Beatles and so on. I haven't inflicted Wonderwall on anyone yet, but give it another decade and who knows! :)

For everyday background in the care homes I visit, it's usually the telly, droning away... moving pictures, sound, voices, a hypnotic ticking away of time. But I won't be seeing things at a musical time, because when I/we turn up, we are the musical time. And I hear staff singing to folk in distant corridors, asking folk what they like, trying to please when they can, or continuing what we started, when we leave.

Another factor in care homes is trying to upset the least number of people for the maximum amount of time. The staff will know who gets upset at which songs... which songs perk up the folk who respond to little else. I had an occasion like that this week, when I sang a couple of songs to someone and her daughter in a side room. She responded so wonderfully to "Underneath the Arches" that it made me cry... which isn't good for your singing voice, I discovered.

Anyway... the point is that for all the statistical similarities we see in folk with dementia, trying to find a background atmosphere which keeps things as settled, and folk as reassured, as possible can't be easy. I get only the briefest of glimpses into care home life, but, on the whole, my limited experience has been pretty good. However I have seen that, as with the physical care side of things, a really good entertainment coordinator can make an awful lot of difference to a home. It's not an easy role, especially as budgets and time will naturally focus on keeping people safe.

So, er... music... maybe, at the heart of it there's an element of familiarity. I like a Chocolate Hobnob, but in my heart of hearts, nothing makes me feel that all's right with the world like a Rich Tea finger or Custard Cream. Because they were what I grew up with. And I realised recently that the musical repertoire I'd like to favour, and do when I can, is basically a Terry Wogan playlist from about 1975... when I was starting to pay attention to music. The past casts a very long shadow, and there are an awful lot of folk in the homes I visit that are in their 90s. Though when I say folk, I mean almost exclusively women.

Ok, I don't post here very often any more... I feel like I've lost my membership card as my caring duties recede. But dementia is the healthcare Hotel California... you can check out, but you can never leave!

Which is probably not a song I should try in a care home. :oops::) So I'll just add, before I shut up, all my best wishes to everyone still struggling, still caring, still loving, still singing along to songs they never thought they'd sing. I applaud each and every one of you. 👏

Right, I'm off to practice "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" again, 'cos I struggle to remember the chords and I really ought to know them by now!
Maybe ‘I’m Checkin’ Out’ by Meryl Streep might stir the pot a bit.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
But whatever is wrong with some of the wonderful and familiar old classics? People might say they don’t like classical music but there is so much lovely stuff that we all know without knowing how we know it. A lot of classical music can have emotional connections for many people, more so than pop music.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
It's like that old TV programme "The Good Old Days", an anachronism even at the time. My wife will be 83 on Sunday. She went to school with Eric Burdon of the Animals and took part in the swinging sixties. She doesn't mind the old songs but Massive Attack, Iron Maiden and Box Scaggs are more her thing. The Absolute Rock radio station would suit her fine.
This made me laugh…she probably went to school with my mum as well. Like they say , you can take a girl out of W but you can’t take W out of the girl. ( if I’ve got the right area and I’m sure mum was at school with him too)

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head