Care home fees

Suki54

Mar 1, 2024
Hi all, I am Susan the eldest daughter of an alzheimer sufferer. My mum is 95 and is in a care home. my mum had savings which is under the limit savings allowed by the government. They take my mums state pension and a small pension that she has they also take a small amount from her savings until she reaches 13000 when they stop taking from her savings. I have received an invoice from the council hat is asking £1332 for increases from April 23 to March 24. Does anyone know if we can get help to pay this?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello, welcome and unless you signed anything you're not liable for someone elses debt.
If you want her to be somewhere that doesn't accept the LA funding rate then you can offer to pay a top up, but that is voluntary, up don't have to pay for her care.
Its ugly but the LA don't want pay even when they're legally responsible, in some areas it may appear to me anyway. K

Suki54

Mar 1, 2024
Hello, welcome and unless you signed anything you're not liable for someone elses debt.
If you want her to be somewhere that doesn't accept the LA funding rate then you can offer to pay a top up, but that is voluntary, up don't have to pay for her care.
Its ugly but the LA don't want pay even when they're legally responsible, in some areas it may appear to me anyway. K
Thank you Kevin they have sent the invoice addressed to my mum C/0 me to my address. They expect me to pay this out of her savings which is below the limit and which they are chipping away at every month anyway.