Care home fees

Haylz65

Feb 4, 2023
Hi my mum has vascular dementia and has been in a care home for 10
months self funding Her savings is getting low. I am in the process of getting probate for the property she lived in with my late father .who died in 2016 . The deeds of the property are only in my late dads name so can the authority take the money from the sale of the house to pay my mams care home fees.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Hi - if our mum doesn't own the property, the local authority can have no claim on it unless it has been left to her by your dad in his will (also please read other posters' comments about a no-will situation). (Sorry, before I edited this it didn't click that your dad had died (hugely embarrassed and very sorry).

Have you looked at the thresholds for paying for care? When your mum's funds get down to £14250, the local authority should pay (or at least pay a contribution towards the full fees). Between £14250 and £23250, your mum would not have to pay full fees - the amount that she would have to contribute would be reduced on a sliding scale.

Hope that helps?
S x

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
What does your fathers Will say with regard to the house?
If it's left to your mother, or there is no Will, then the Intestate Rules will apply, then the house may be at risk.
Get professional advice. Quickly.

Bod

Haylz65

Feb 4, 2023
Hi thanks for your reply mums savings are down to 20 thousand .I have LPA for my mum . I was worried about the house that was in my late dads name only .we never had the deeds transfered to my mums name when he died in 2016.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Hi my mum has vascular dementia and has been in a care home for 10
months self funding Her savings is getting low. I am in the process of getting probate for the property she lived in with my late father .who died in 2016 . The deeds of the property are only in my late dads name so can the authority take the money from the sale of the house to pay my mams care home fees.
The property would, presumably, have passed to your mum on dad's death, so she does own it and it would therefore be included in any financial assessment to pay for care.