Care Home Costs......

Anthoula

Having just checked the cost of care homes in our area I have found that they average out at about £1,500 per week. I am wondering what generally the Social Services pay (OH would not be self funding) because I don`t imagine it would be anywhere close to £1,500. Also wondering what happens if someone can not "top up" the fees? Any advice will be welcome.

nitram

Top ups are voluntary, nobody has to pay, if somebody does the LA should check they can afford it.

The LA has to find a place even if it pays over it's rate, the place may not be convenient for the family, it could even be in a different area.

Violet Jane

Local authorities do not pay the same rates as self-funders. There is a significant difference between the two rates. Some homes will only take self-funders but many take a mixture of people funded by local authorities and self-funders.

Kevinl

As nitram says the LA do have to find a placement even if it's over their stated rate, however, the LA are bulk purchases so get a better deal than a one off purchaser.
I went into my local small supermarket and Mrs Next Door paid with her loyalty card, 4 pounds off my bill straight away, loyality schemes and bulk purchase get you a better deal, LA's money is council tax money, so ours and the arguement about whether what is essentially a cross subsidy should exist is a different matter.
As for the figure you quote, location, location, location as the TV programme used to be called, plus are we talking care home or nursing home, there is a difference, often quite a considerable difference.
I'll shut up for now. K

arkle

My wife is in a care home in SE London
She started in the care unit at 1500 a month and when she became immobile she was moved to the nursing unit of the same home, that is 1750 a month but as she is in nursing care she is entitled to a benefit called funded nursing care which is non means tested so I am paying about 30 a month extra for nursing care

Neveradullday!

Here's an interesting letter in the paper a few days ago.
IMG_20240422_185559.jpg

Anthoula

Thank you to everyone for your responses. With care home care for OH being a probable consideration in the not too distant future I now realise that I will have to research this a lot more fully.