Care Home 'Choice'

triumph25

Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
This is related to other threads on here, but encompasses perhaps a different aspect.

I can only go by my own experiences.

When I applied for respite care in October for 2 weeks sometime before Xmas, I was offered 2 places. Both were large homes, and both were owned by 'groups' I.e. The order of St. John's, or Barchester etc.

I didn't want Ken to go into either, having visited them both, so didn't get my respite.

When I saw the social worker in January & advised, she said that was 'nonsense' there were other places available.

My partner is not self funding.

I have come to the following conclusion, which may or may not be true!

As the county council has to have some 'emergency' beds available, I guess they 'bulk buy' a certain number which they will have to pay for whether they are occupied or not.

So it is in the Councils interest to fill those beds first whatever else is or isn't available.

I also guess that they 'bulk buy' these from the group care homes as they will have a) more beds available over a wider area, & b) because they will get a 'preferential' rate for these beds.

That is why, there will be a (sometimes) vast difference between the cost paid by social services and that paid privately.

It's not only because they are penalising self funders.

But, it does bring into question patient choice, and finances.

I duly waited until I could get Ken into a care home of my choice. The charges in this home are the same whether funded by the county council or self funded.

I can understand the pressures on the council that social care imposes, & I can understand that if they can do 'deals' with these larger group companies it will save the rate payers money. Just be aware that it will also limit choice.

So, my advice would be to decide which home you want your family member to go into, and if you can find out from the home direct what their rates are, both for social services funded and private funded, and if they have any spaces available. Then phone the council, & see what you are offered!

If you choose a smaller independently run home, it would be interesting to see where the Council offer you first!

And don't forget that in an emergency situation, you are usually only too happy to take whatever is offered, and they may well have only certain places available.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I have been doing a lot of research on this recently.

I find it interesting that the home that you have chosen has the same rate to the county council as it does for self funders - it is the only one I have heard of out of hundreds so far that I have researched that doesn't have a two tier rate - I would be very grateful if you would private message me the name as it would be very helpful

Actually very few councils bulk buy now - they did that 5-10 years ago but most councils only have one or two contracts that 'bulk buy' and even then it is only to the tune of 6 beds - an example - one council has two contracts that are 'bulk buy' and they have placed a further 300+ in individual care homes.

Undoubtedly if councils do have beds 'spare' from a contract then it makes sense that they would offer these first but people are well within their rights to ask for another Home. This is not the reason that there is a difference between self funders and LA paid for beds. Just for information the current LAs that I have info on pay almost the same price for a 'bulk buy' as they do for an individual placement. The fees for self funders are set by care homes and the care homes decide whether or not they are prepared to accept the LA price for the same facilities - the difference is usually several hundred pounds and very often the self funders are paying double - it is a scandal.

Most homes will resist telling you what they fees are for self funders and for LA funded - they are under no obligation to and they don't want to and they can tell you whatever they want to. The reason they don't want to tell people is that it highlights a problem which demonstrates rip off Britain in the worst possible light - a problem which we are currently campaigning to solve so that there is no two tier funding and the LA pays the same as the self funder or vice versa as you will see here https://www.change.org/p/fair-care-home-fees-for-all

hope this helps

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I find it interesting that the home that you have chosen has the same rate to the county council as it does for self funders - it is the only one I have heard of out of hundreds so far that I have researched that doesn't have a two tier rate..........
Might not be what you are after but my Mom is in a NH that only has one rate for both types of funders. However they will not accept "just" the LA rate, there has to be a top up as well.

:)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Might not be what you are after but my Mom is in a NH that only has one rate for both types of funders. However they will not accept "just" the LA rate, there has to be a top up as well.

This is interesting. I think many care homes can't get the profits they want (50% several care home owners have told me!) from the LA. It would be interesting to know how much the top up they want is and if they charge total self funders yet another rate. Where in the country are you?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
This is interesting. I think many care homes can't get the profits they want (50% several care home owners have told me!) from the LA. It would be interesting to know how much the top up they want is and if they charge total self funders yet another rate. Where in the country are you?
No, it is just the one rate for all @ £1000/week. Mom is currently classed as self funding whilst I battle for a Discretionary Disregard on her house, however the LA have the contract with the NH with their rate being £410 (fixed for the past 4 years:mad:) so after pensions/benefits pay less than £200 which will have to be repaid if the DD is declined.

My LA could only provide one NH within their budget which was a shared room. Found this nice one in a neighbouring LA whose budget is £100/week higher but my LA refused to match it. That will be my next battle after the DD.