Care home activities

MFJ

Jun 7, 2022
Hi
I would just like others thoughts and experience please.
If a relative has advanced dementia and is in an EMI unit what activities would you expect to be taking place ?
Should they have access to a garden or some sort of sensory / stimulation room. Or because of the advanced dementia this is little chance of getting residents to participate - so it’s a case of just ensuring they are fed and cared for ?
Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum moved into an EMI home when she was in mid-stage dementia.
When she first moved in there she could do things like simple word searches, playing snap and connect 4. She used to join in organised activities like musical bingo, chair exercises, reminiscence activities, playing simple percussion instruments along with someone leading well known songs.

As things progressed she was less and less able to join in and enjoyed things like folding towels, reminiscence boxes as well as watching the activities (rather than joining in).

Near the end she wasnt really capable of doing anything, but liked to examine the fiddle rug I made for her and watched the hanging prisms that cast rainbows around her room. She still liked to come into the lounge sometimes, but didnt join in anything, just watched everyone coming and going. Sometimes she would sit there there with her eyes closed even though she wasnt asleep because the stimulation was too much for her and she wanted to shut it out. At these moments I think that just the feel of air movement on her cheek, the feel of clothes against her skin and internal sensations were enough stimulation for her.

MFJ

Jun 7, 2022
When she first moved in there she could do things like simple word searches, playing snap and connect 4. She used to join in organised activities like musical bingo, chair exercises, reminiscence activities, playing simple percussion instruments along with someone leading well known songs.

As things progressed she was less and less able to join in and enjoyed things like folding towels, reminiscence boxes as well as watching the activities (rather than joining in).

Near the end she wasnt

MFJ

Jun 7, 2022
Canary - that’s interesting about your mum sitting with her eyes closed but it being asleep. That’s exactly how my dad has been in my last few visits . I thought he was just being difficult but from what you’ve said he maybe can’t cope with the added stimulation so doesn’t open his eyes! I didn’t realise that was something dementia patients may do

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
My mum still does get a bit involved especially if music is involved . The nursing home does have regular activities and trips out but most of the people on mums unit get worn out just eating lunch and so the afternoon can be very slow and quiet. Mum likes to hold my hand and just sit so that’s what we do. The other day she was really enjoying a quiz show on the telly, during my last visit, she couldn’t stay awake . The activity coordinators adapt around the residents.

Pebbles 1

May 21, 2021
Hi
I would just like others thoughts and experience please.
If a relative has advanced dementia and is in an EMI unit what activities would you expect to be taking place ?
Should they have access to a garden or some sort of sensory / stimulation room. Or because of the advanced dementia this is little chance of getting residents to participate - so it’s a case of just ensuring they are fed and cared for ?
Thanks
Hi. My dad has advanced Alzheimer’s , he’s in a care home but I’m lucky that I have time to spend parts of each day with him. He is sadly bedridden I believe, personally, that there is more the care home could do. Most activities are centred around more able bodied groups but I truly feel my dad would respond to 1 to 1 interaction, even if only for a small amount of time and based on where his physical strengths are. Some kind of human interaction is crucial when there is little else. We are their voice and we should all be working together for the benefit of our family member.

MFJ

Jun 7, 2022
Hi. My dad has advanced Alzheimer’s , he’s in a care home but I’m lucky that I have time to spend parts of each day with him. He is sadly bedridden I believe, personally, that there is more the care home could do. Most activities are centred around more able bodied groups but I truly feel my dad would respond to 1 to 1 interaction, even if only for a small amount of time and based on where his physical strengths are. Some kind of human interaction is crucial when there is little else. We are their voice and we should all be working together for the benefit of our family member.
Hi that’s how I feel ! This is the 2nd home dad has been in due to a failed placements and safeguarding concerns at the previous one. We had little choice on where he could go. The staff are lovely and the care is much better but each time I’ve been to visit the residents are all sat in chairs listening to music from the war years. My Dad loved soul music , football and being in the garden - none of which is catered for (I asked if they could put the FA cup final on the tv but they didn’t) .
I am hoping that things do take place when I am not visiting or as others have said it may well be that because of the advanced nature of the dementia there is little stimulation.
It makes me feel sad that he’s just sat there, avoiding opening his eyes and not engaging with me .
I guess most of the issue is around my feelings rather than his .

heartbroken01

Dec 27, 2022
It breaks my heart to read that the closing of eyes is a typical sign of everything bring too much, and we didn't know mum had vascular dementia. Like others suggested, we just thought she was being difficult, and left. I still can't believe noone mentioned the dementia word to us.....x

RNcaregiver

Mar 5, 2023
Hello @MFJ. My mom’s home has several activities, but she is still able to walk and move around pretty well. They have exercise class in the mornings, a “brain class” right before lunch, and some sort of musical activity in the afternoon. She goes to all three but I think it’s mostly bc the staff come and get her or remind her. She recently told me she participated in Bingo, which was a shock to me. lol

She believes she is at work or at a work conference most days. So having a schedule of events is good for her. She is a retired professor and that was her life for so long. She also enjoys sitting on their “porch” which is a garden with rocking chairs outside.

Some of it depends on the stage they are in and also the care of the staff and if they are good at encouraging participation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJM2386