Care Fees and personal taxation

Richardw

Mar 18, 2017
Hi Richard

I've just posted on a thread "Care Homes" and am off to find your petition (didn't see your thread before).

Whilst I don't personally think about inheritance, I do think it wrong that she is subsidising the government as a self-funder, and, if we rent out her house, the net income will be taxed. A double whammy!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Hi Please feel free to share my petition on social media. I have a limited amount of time to spend promoting it but I am determined to see it through. Thanks again

Richardw

Mar 18, 2017
Richard, sorry to see that something you feel strongly about has fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps we are just happy with the status quo. Personally I think the real problem with care home funding is elsewhere.....or personal taxation could be a part of any solution.

Perhaps you need to get a 'celebrity' to get on board. Martin Lewis of 'MoneySavingExpert' may be willing to look at the issue with his razor sharp financial mind and if he were to become an advocate then you may get somewhere.

Thanks for the advice I will look in to it. Celebrity advocates are certainly a potential way to get the issue more widely known

istherelight?

Feb 15, 2017
Fair comment, Rageddy Anne. A cure for dementia must surely be what we all wish for but meanwhile what can we do? Just keep chipping away by any method we can think of and money issues do seem to engage governments.

Btw, Richard, there is another thread with a petition under "Care Home Costs".

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Heard on the radio (or did I imagine it) that the government (I presume the Tories) are thinking of looking into some sort of tax rebate for families that are struggling to pay for care. So someone may have been listening after all.

As ever with these sort of things it is only words at the moment....when someone works out how much it will cost then they may quietly forget about it.:cool:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Those funded by LA don't necessarily get same care as self funders. My aunt pays £4500 per month for wonderful care. Her LA would never have paid for that home - especially as it's outside their area.

...and sometimes they do! The cost of a home doesn't necessarily equate with quality of the care given as so many posts here portray. Likewise those in the media.