Cant keep eyes open

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
My hubbys whi is 62 has had Alzheimers past 5 years but his condition is rapidly progressing even more so since lockdown he has been double incontinent for past few years his speech affected doesnt recognise anyone needs help with every aspect of daily living eating dressing showering practically everything his walking getting worse and recently he is very sleepy all this time even standing up he shuts his eyes I have coped with everything so far but this is horrendeous trying to keep him awake from he gets out of bed is awfull I am awaiting bloods to be done to check out for any cause anyone else gave this god dam awfull sleepiness

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
if he sleeps during the day does he sleep through the night? mine has got vascular dementia for the last 18months and he sleeps especially most of the afternoon. he would sleep some of the morning away as well if he cant sit in the front garden. he says its boredom but i dont know or if he goes out for an hour, he is very tired afterwards. can you wake him to eat and drink? could it be his meds.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
if he sleeps during the day does he sleep through the night? mine has got vascular dementia for the last 18months and he sleeps especially most of the afternoon. he would sleep some of the morning away as well if he cant sit in the front garden. he says its boredom but i dont know or if he goes out for an hour, he is very tired afterwards. can you wake him to eat and drink? could it be his meds.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Sorry not been on for a while turned out he had a UTI and because I cant get a urine sample from him its horrendeous he diesnt wee in toilet can sit him down and he woukd still be sitting to wee next week ....l be so kept pushing doctor to give him an abtibiotic without sample he has picked up he is better he is housebound now and cant get out for walks with his stroller anymore as he tends to want to sit anywhere anytime ? I am waiting on a ramp so I can get him out into fresh air in wheelchair this covid has made his condition rapidly deteriorate I am hoping his legs strengthen once better weather kicks in its sad to see him like a prisoner in his house

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
Sorry not been on for a while turned out he had a UTI and because I cant get a urine sample from him its horrendeous he diesnt wee in toilet can sit him down and he woukd still be sitting to wee next week ....l be so kept pushing doctor to give him an abtibiotic without sample he has picked up he is better he is housebound now and cant get out for walks with his stroller anymore as he tends to want to sit anywhere anytime ? I am waiting on a ramp so I can get him out into fresh air in wheelchair this covid has made his condition rapidly deteriorate I am hoping his legs strengthen once better weather kicks in its sad to see him like a prisoner in his house
Hi there.I have just been through the identical situation.Im thinking of you.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Hi there.I have just been through the identical situation.Im thinking of you.
Thank you Blodegg and thinking of you too its hard going but we wouldnt want it any other way as going into care esp now is totally out question have heard some terrible stories of awfull care to residents in homes now

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
Thank you Blodegg and thinking of you too its hard going but we wouldnt want it any other way as going into care esp now is totally out question have heard some terrible stories of awfull care to residents in homes now
Too be honest we put our dad into care for 1 week as he was deteriorating so fast.
He stopped eating couldn't stand was wetting himself so it was just vile watching this happening.Sadly he passed away a week later being last Monday. Im being honest it was such a relief as he was not the man who went in.And he could have lived in this dreadful condition for god knows how long which he would have hated.
This all came about because he caught Covid last December so luckily he never suffered for too long.
Stay strong.

Nan pauline

Mar 28, 2021
Hello! First time on
my husband has had vascular dementia for 8 years. I find it very hard to cope.
I have been ill and hospitalized and he had to have carers in. Now we have carers in twice a day Monday to Friday.
I am feeling stronger now
he sleeps most of the day. Head down all the time
my family think it’s best to keep carers because it’s good stimulation

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello @Nan pauline my husband has vascular dementia as well but no where near the 8 years. i personally would keep the carers because there may come a time that he needs carers again and at least he is used to them. yes they are stimulation for you and no one knows what can happen in the future. as well as how long could you be a sole carer with all the pressures that brings as well as your health. i would take all the help you can.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Nan pauline and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. As @jennifer1967 I would keep the carers. Your husband is used to them and it will be easier to increase visits if needed as things progress. Keep posting you'll always find a listening ear and help and advice in this very friendly forum.
You might wish to start your own thread as that way more people will see your post and reply.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Nan pauline
As dementia progresses they sleep more and more and some of them keep their eyes closed even if they are awake because they find the world too confusing.

I would keep the carers too. You need all the help you can get and its good for your husband to have other people around as well as you.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Nan pauline a warm welcome to DTP from me as well
I’m also agreeing with the other posters now you have taken the hardest step and have the carers coming in please continue to take the help they can supply..
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post.