Can't believe I am back!

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Well its been a couple of years! I lost my mum to dementia in April 21. She was in a care home and we were able to see her the day before she passed.

For a few months I have noticed that my dad is showing signs of dementia.

He still lives independently, he still drives (although we try to pick him up or get him Ubers as much as possible), I have a tracker on his phone - Life360, its amazing! He belongs to a couple of social groups that meet up twice a week and he does light shopping.

His short term memory is shot, gone.......but it is now becoming apparent that his long term (the last few years) memory is going too.

He is a (was) a kind person, even though we have never been a lovey dovey family, he doesn't swear, he never used to say horrible things.........NOW, omg, he snaps! Just goes, BANG, on Sunday he accused me of not giving him the information about my mums funeral and why wouldn't I tell him when she died. He accused my husband of taking his car and scratching it. He has accused the cleaner of stealing money, which I know she has not. I don't even think the money was in the house in the first place.

He keeps saying that my mums funeral had been covered by an insurance policy, which it wasn't. And I know that I am not meant to correct him or contradict him, so this one I went along with and said "oh ok, have you got a policy" and he looked at me like I had two heads!

Some of the things I admit I had to tell him were incorrect, like my husband taking the car and the cleaner stealing the money. But he gets that really vicious look in his eyes.

I dread to think what he tells people at the social club! One of the so called "welfare" people from the group contacted me and told me that my dad was looking thin, like I don't see him three times a week........is she trying to pile even more guilt on me.

I could go on and on but I fear that you will get bored and bog off! This is just me having a rant and getting my words out there. My husband is so supportive but its just the two of us, I have no one else I can tell all this to. I am protecting family back in the UK as there is nothing they can do and at the end of the day if I say anything they just say "oh, grandad hes such a wind up, bless him", yeah! Not helpful!

Anyway, now I really am boring you to the back teeth.

Thank you to those who stayed to the end,

We live to fight another day in this world of dementia and confusion.

xxx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome back @JoannePat although I’m sure you’d rather not be back!

Your story is similar to mine - first mum, then dad. I recognise a lot of the behaviours - dad used to blame my daughter for the scratches on his car and she never drove it!
Everything was everyone else’s fault 🙄.

Now that you’re back feel free to have a moan/rant whenever you need one. We all know what it’s like…

RedLeanne

Aug 13, 2023
@JoannePat I'm so sorry you are having to go through this again. I have lost both my parents, one to bowel cancer and one to heart failure. My husband and I help to care/support his mum who has Alzheimer’s and my goodness it is such an awful illness to deal with. As you say you're not supposed to argue with them but it's so upsetting hearing them telling hurtful lies that they believe are the truth. Please rant on here, hopefully it helps you and helps others feel less alone xxx

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
@JoannePat I am so sorry you are back on this roller coaster. It’s so frustrating and depressing. I do hope you can get some support. Your husband sounds a lovely support. I have certainly felt better having a rant on here, it really helps to vent these frustrations and everybody is so kind.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
@DeeCee7 thank you! Yes it really is a good place to vent and rant. I have also found it helpful replying to others. I feel like it takes it away from me and mine for a while, if that makes sense.

x

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
@JoannePat rant all you like, its so hard having to deal with PWD. You dad sounds like my OH. It's so hard not to argue with them but we are all human, but arguing doesn't do a lot of good because they are always right. not!

LondonDaughter

Apr 21, 2022
How sad for you @JoannePat to have this come around a second time. Doesn't seem fair but of course it is what it is. I know what you mean. I don't talk much to friends about the situation because if you haven't been in it you can't really understand and it just feels like moaning when actually it's so important to just say it and be heard.
So hard not to try and bring the situation back into the realms of reality. I do it a lot and wish I hadn't. But somehow letting us both sit in a fabricated non-truth is really hard for the carer too. They are themselves and entirely not themselves at the same time and it messes with your head.
I found the paranoia reached a high point then as my PDW has moved further into mid stage, it has lessened.
Speak away here where you are understood.