Cancer diagnosis, dementia and diagnosis not being retained ....

Debs0162

Mar 30, 2014
My mom clearly has a form of dementia that has not been formally diagnosed. Her forgetfulness and irrational behaviour are going from bad to worse. My stepdad went into hospital for a routine hip replacement and has been beset with post op complications that have been mismanaged by the hospital he was being cared for by (I use the word cared for very lightly here). My poor mom has also been diagnosed with bowel cancer and as a consequence is even more irrational, confused and generally mithered than ever.

We went to see the consultant surgeon yesterday and he confirmed that it was a cancerous tumour in the bowel, that there was no spread and that the operation would be CURATIVE and she would be cancer free.... she would need a colostomy but she would have a life and should be fine. I felt so relieved but mom focused only on the colostomy and not the other positive news. By the time we had got home (20 minute drive) she had completely forgotten about the diagnosis, prognosis and plan for treatment. When I remind her its like her hearing about it for the first time. The problems are compounded by the fact that she is home alone because s/dad is still in hospital and has today undergone a complete revision of his surgery (chronic infection ) and she will not stay at my house she wants to be home. What do I do. Do I just take her to the pending appointments - she now has several including a course of radiotherapy and let her relive her diagnosis for the first time every time we go.... is there any way I can get the information to stick ?? Really don't know what to do anymore and the GP is useless - we have no help or support (or treatment) for her memory problems. Advice welcome thank you.

flossielime

May 8, 2014
I just cant believe how much you are coping with here. You have a massive amount going on. I really do not have any answers about what to do. But my thoughts are.

Can you get a diagnosis on your mum for dementia? Is there any possibility that the cancer and situation with your dad is making her confused rather than dementia? Have you tried the mini test questions on her - what year? remember address, count backwards in 7s, who is the prime minister etc. ?

Personally and I can only speak for me and my dad if it was him with cancer and there was talk of a colostomy bag I would not want him to have treatment. Totally different case if he was a well and younger man - but how would he cope with treatment he did not understand or a bag after.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane