Can you use any Probate Office?

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
I've had such hassles with the solicitor in Wales (where my Dad lives) drafting his new will accurately, I'm wondering about leaving the completed will with them, or bringing it to a solicitor where I live in England.

My question is, when my Dad dies, does the solicitor dealing with probate have to be a local one and use the most local probate office to the residence of the deceased person, or can any solicitor/probate office be used?

I may phone the probate helpline on Monday, but I thought I'd throw out the question here first in case anyone has knowledge or experience of this kind of situation.

Thank you for any replies. :)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Application for grant of probate can be made to any probate registry or sub registry.

It does not require a solicitor to apply, application can be made by an executor.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Oh that's encouraging. Thank you. :)

I think I would prefer to use a solicitor, but one that I think will do the job properly! :)

Nickydonut

May 8, 2014
I'm going to do it myself it can be quite costly to do via a solicitor providing there are no issues regarding the will etc I would just get the forms pa1 I think you need and get advice filling it in xx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
We used these folks after they had been recommended in the Guardian newspaper. Well worth considering as they were true to their word - fixed fee with no hidden extras. http://www.finalduties.co.uk/

If nothing else it will give you something to compare the costs with. The solicitors we were allocated were based in London but everything was done via post and email. Only thing we arranged locally was where you had to go and swear the oath and get a solicitor to witness this. Local solicitors did this for £10.

Hope this helps,

Fiona

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Very interesting Fiona, thank you for that link that I've saved on my favourites.

As they point out, the usual cost is an hourly rate that gives solicitors no incentive to do things quickly.

I think I would like legal help to do it. I'd rather forgo some of the inheritance than get my brain in a twist and a worry over it.