Can you take a second to help me please?

Fleur01

Mar 5, 2019
Hi, my name is Emma and I am a 19 year old student currently studying my final major project before heading off to university in September.

You're probably wondering why I am on this website, but I am desperate for your help. My project is based on a woman's life as she faces Alzheimer's Disease and I need some first hand research. My step grandad does actually have the disease but unfortunately has now become so bad that I am no longer able to ask him any questions and it would really mean a lot to me if someone so kind could take a second to help me.

whether it's advice, stories, experiences, good or bad, absolutely anything is appreciated. I would take this subject topic very sensitively and no names shall be used just information that is provided.

I do hope someone replies... Thank you!

Fleur01

Mar 5, 2019
Hi its Emma again!
Following on from my last post, here are some questions I would really appreciate being answered for me.
Thanks.

- How do you see people?
- What was it like growing up?
- What do you do to help you remember?
- What's your most valuable possession?
- What did you think/feel when you were first diagnosed?
- How would you describe it?
- What are your good days like?
- What are your bad days like?
- What do you see in day to day life?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Some constructive criticism: If you want to do research, there are loads of great threads on this board to read up on. Or go to a dementia cafe and interview people instead of just waiting for the stories to come to you? Also, your approach seems a bit broad. What exactly are you looking for? "Absolutely anything" is not going to make for a good project.

Last edited:

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi, my name is Emma and I am a 19 year old student currently studying my final major project before heading off to university in September.

You're probably wondering why I am on this website, but I am desperate for your help. My project is based on a woman's life as she faces Alzheimer's Disease and I need some first hand research. My step grandad does actually have the disease but unfortunately has now become so bad that I am no longer able to ask him any questions and it would really mean a lot to me if someone so kind could take a second to help me.

whether it's advice, stories, experiences, good or bad, absolutely anything is appreciated. I would take this subject topic very sensitively and no names shall be used just information that is provided.

I think you need to be more specific around a particular aspect of this illness . There are so many variants of what people are going through, posters won't know what to put to you

Fleur01

Mar 5, 2019
Some constructive criticism: If you want to do research, there are loads of great threads on this board to read up on. Or go to a dementia cafe and interview people instead of just waiting for the stories to come to you? Also, your approach seems a bit to broad. What exactly are you looking for? "Absolutely anything" is not going to make for a good project.

Thanks for the reply, I will check out the café idea. The reason my asking is so broad is because at the start of my project my tutor wants us to cover a lot of bases. I have added some questions if anyone is up to something more specific, but thanks again you have been helpful :)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Those questions are for people with dementia. The majority on this board are carers, plus not many people who have dementia will actually be able to answer your questions. To be honest, even I don't understand the first one. It's probably best if you educate yourself on all aspects of dementia, then pick one you want to delve deeper into. Everyone with dementia is different so don't concentrate on the memory loss part too much.

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018

Hi Emma ,
I would be pleased to give you my experiences of my mother and her illness but not sure how not to post for everyone to see as i’m Just learning my way around the site

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Emma ,
I would be pleased to give you my experiences of my mother and her illness but not sure how not to post for everyone to see as i’m Just learning my way around the site

If you click on the envelope at the top & then “start a conversation”, then in the to (I think it participant), put Fleur, a drop down will let you pick the right person.

Then just write your message. Conversations can’t be seen by everyone, but can be read by the moderators.

good gosh

Apr 27, 2016
Hampshire UK
My wife Jenny is in a moderately-severe stage. She refused to accept she had Alzheimer's for the first 3 years after diagnosis. But now knows she is not right and she is terrified about what will happen to her. She knows what happens to others and she fears being more handicapped, fears loosing her home, fears loosing her savings to pay for a nursing home, fears being dependant on others.

I tell her I will look after her always but that also terrifies her - she doesn't believe I could.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My mum was a retired dementia nurse, she used to come home after a shift at an EMI Home & put her head in her hands, saying “please don’t let me get Alzheimers, it’s such a cruel disease”.

For the first 2 years mum knew she had Alzheimers & it really stressed her. I was so grateful when she forgot what it was. Literally forgot.

She was worrying about her friend & I was telling her the friend had dementia. Mum said she didn’t want to get that ... I said “that’s ok Mum, you’ve just got Alzheimers”. She didn’t know what I was talking about. It was a relief.

Sammycat

Jul 21, 2018
My mum was a retired dementia nurse, she used to come home after a shift at an EMI Home & put her head in her hands, saying “please don’t let me get Alzheimers, it’s such a cruel disease”.

For the first 2 years mum knew she had Alzheimers & it really stressed her. I was so grateful when she forgot what it was. Literally forgot.

She was worrying about her friend & I was telling her the friend had dementia. Mum said she didn’t want to get that ... I said “that’s ok Mum, you’ve just got Alzheimers”. She didn’t know what I was talking about. It was a relief.
My husband was told by consultant he has vascular dementia. His face went white and he said is that Alzheimer's ? No said the consultant, it's not.
Oh thank god, he said I was scared I would lose my memory.
Now he thinks he's fine. I wish he was.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My husband was told by consultant he has vascular dementia. His face went white and he said is that Alzheimer's ? No said the consultant, it's not.
Oh thank god, he said I was scared I would lose my memory.
Now he thinks he's fine. I wish he was.

When I told my brother, he asked why the doctor thought she had Alzheimers .... “but she’s always been like that .. she must have had it about 40 years”

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Denial is the biggest problem and you don’t know what you don’t know or remember. My dad never admitted to forgetting things, it just gradually happened and got worse. He always blamed others, the world was daft, people were daft, they were late, not coming etc, things changed etc. Darkness during the day was a strange phenomenon and others thought so too, he got his night and day mixed up.

Items that went missing, were stolen or taken by someone else, so he would hide all sorts of items in his home to keep them safe, but forget were they were hidden, so again the only explanation was they had been stolen, it was a viscous circle. There was no reasoning. He lost words, everything became ‘thing’, or ‘you know’, ‘that place’.

He couldn’t accept change, but routine was good, he followed the same pattern daily, still shaved and combed his hair, but failed to understand he needed to wash and his clothes needed changing or washing.

Travelled miles on trains and buses every day and as long as nothing changed he always got home. But if a train got cancelled or changed platform he couldn’t accept it and would go wrong. He would hold onto a memory even though it was wrong or not his memory (something he picked up from the tv) and you couldn’t change it, until he would eventually forget or move on. For example saying he had been in the army fighting in Germany even though he wasn’t old enough. He had to get home to his parents house, or he’d been offered a job but worried how to get out of it.

He became obsessed with having money in his wallet, visited the bank daily, even weekends and during the night and would stand and wait expecting it to open, but he didn’t understand the value of money, he would burn it, give it away, hide it, lose it, spend it, carry around as much as he could on him. It also wasn’t his money he was taking from the bank, he didn’t have any, it was the banks and they paid him for doing a job, his job was walking to the bank.

TV became an issue, he couldn’t concentrate on it for long, the people on the Tv were talking to him, things that happened on tv became his reality sometimes and he would get upset or angry with it. He would make drinks and food for people that weren’t there or on the tv. He couldn’t make a drink of tea anymore or prepare a meal in a microwave. Strange combinations of food, the same meal each time he went out to the same place.

He no longer recognised himself in photos or in the mirror, that person was old or spying on him. He didn’t understand pain or when he was causing harm to himself. He no longer slept in his bed. He would get angry and aggressive with those that tried to help him.

He didn’t know he was being assessed or diagnosed when I eventually got a GP to visit him, he thought it was to look at his leg and when others followed, mental health team, Social worker etc, he disassociated himself from them and assumed they were there to see me. I never told him he had Advanced Dementia, we laughed about things going missing or him forgetting things and things going wrong. When I eventually had to place him into a care home, I took him out for ‘lunch’ and l left him there with all ‘those old crazy people’ and when I went back a few days later to visit he was amazed that I knew where he was and wanted to know how I had found him. He also wanted to go home, but a day later he didn’t remember home, but he still remembered the bank and the need for money. He climbed out of a window and escaped from the care home and walked miles looking for the bank.

He thought I was his wife, but couldn’t remember my name, he didn’t have a daughter he was too young, he saw a baby and watched the mother with it and then asked what they were doing with (my name). He always smiled at me and was pleased to see me and recognised me as a familiar face and someone he trusted and he never got angry with me even though he could get angry and abussive with everyone else. He was my dad.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Denial is the biggest problem and you don’t know what you don’t know or remember. My dad never admitted to forgetting things, it just gradually happened and got worse. He always blamed others, the world was daft, people were daft, they were late, not coming etc, things changed etc. Darkness during the day was a strange phenomenon and others thought so too, he got his night and day mixed up.

Items that went missing, were stolen or taken by someone else, so he would hide all sorts of items in his home to keep them safe, but forget were they were hidden, so again the only explanation was they had been stolen, it was a viscous circle. There was no reasoning. He lost words, everything became ‘thing’, or ‘you know’, ‘that place’.

He couldn’t accept change, but routine was good, he followed the same pattern daily, still shaved and combed his hair, but failed to understand he needed to wash and his clothes needed changing or washing.

Travelled miles on trains and buses every day and as long as nothing changed he always got home. But if a train got cancelled or changed platform he couldn’t accept it and would go wrong. He would hold onto a memory even though it was wrong or not his memory (something he picked up from the tv) and you couldn’t change it, until he would eventually forget or move on. For example saying he had been in the army fighting in Germany even though he wasn’t old enough. He had to get home to his parents house, or he’d been offered a job but worried how to get out of it.

He became obsessed with having money in his wallet, visited the bank daily, even weekends and during the night and would stand and wait expecting it to open, but he didn’t understand the value of money, he would burn it, give it away, hide it, lose it, spend it, carry around as much as he could on him. It also wasn’t his money he was taking from the bank, he didn’t have any, it was the banks and they paid him for doing a job, his job was walking to the bank.

TV became an issue, he couldn’t concentrate on it for long, the people on the Tv were talking to him, things that happened on tv became his reality sometimes and he would get upset or angry with it. He would make drinks and food for people that weren’t there or on the tv. He couldn’t make a drink of tea anymore or prepare a meal in a microwave. Strange combinations of food, the same meal each time he went out to the same place.

He no longer recognised himself in photos or in the mirror, that person was old or spying on him. He didn’t understand pain or when he was causing harm to himself. He no longer slept in his bed. He would get angry and aggressive with those that tried to help him.

He didn’t know he was being assessed or diagnosed when I eventually got a GP to visit him, he thought it was to look at his leg and when others followed, mental health team, Social worker etc, he disassociated himself from them and assumed they were there to see me. I never told him he had Advanced Dementia, we laughed about things going missing or him forgetting things and things going wrong. When I eventually had to place him into a care home, I took him out for ‘lunch’ and l left him there with all ‘those old crazy people’ and when I went back a few days later to visit he was amazed that I knew where he was and wanted to know how I had found him. He also wanted to go home, but a day later he didn’t remember home, but he still remembered the bank and the need for money. He climbed out of a window and escaped from the care home and walked miles looking for the bank.

He thought I was his wife, but couldn’t remember my name, he didn’t have a daughter he was too young, he saw a baby and watched the mother with it and then asked what they were doing with (my name). He always smiled at me and was pleased to see me and recognised me as a familiar face and someone he trusted and he never got angry with me even though he could get angry and abussive with everyone else. He was my dad.

You’ve just brought a tear to my eye Elle. Sounds a lot like my dad. Sending hugs x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
You’ve just brought a tear to my eye Elle. Sounds a lot like my dad. Sending hugs x
Thanks 70smand, I wasn’t intending on writing so much, but it just kind of flowed out. As you know my dad died last Wednesday, so in a way it was good to write this out. Good memories even though they didn’t seem like it at the time. Elle x