Can my savings be used for his care?

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Hello
I’m getting quite confused about whether my savings will be taken into account and used to pay for husband’s care in the future.
We have been married for over 30 years and have never had a joint bank account. The only account with both our names was the mortgage which was paid off 20+ years ago.
Our house is in both our names (mine first as I dealt with all the conveyancing when we moved recently, and used done if my savings to ensure we could buy the house).

Is it right that I would not be forced to sell my home to fund his care?

I have always been careful with money and have always saved.
He has never really saved and spent any maturing polices as they happened.

I thought I had been told that my savings would not be used to pay for any care, but recently I saw a post which seemed to say otherwise.

Please can anyone help ?
Thank you 🙏

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As long as you're in the house it's disregarded and any financial assessment is on him, not you so don't worry.
There are 2 types of home ownership, joint tenants (the most common one) and tenants in common where there can be an assigned share of a property.
You're not liable for anyone's care costs and while you live in the house it is a mandatory disregard (UK England). K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As long as you remain in the house it will be disregarded in any financial assessment, you would not have to sell it even if he owned it.

Only his sole savings and half of any joint savings will be assessed.
You will not have to pay towards his care although if he has to go into LA funded care it will most likely be suggested that you pay a top up amount, any top up is voluntary.

sue2108

May 9, 2023
As long as you're in the house it's disregarded and any financial assessment is on him, not you so don't worry.
There are 2 types of home ownership, joint tenants (the most common one) and tenants in common where there can be an assigned share of a property.
You're not liable for anyone's care costs and while you live in the house it is a mandatory disregard (UK England). K
Thank you 🙏

sue2108

May 9, 2023
As long as you remain in the house it will be disregarded in any financial assessment, you would not have to sell it even if he owned it.

Only his sole savings and half of any joint savings will be assessed.
You will not have to pay towards his care although if he has to go into LA funded care it will most likely be suggested that you pay a top up amount, any top up is voluntary.
Thank you 🙏