Can my mum pay me to be carer

Louise1964

Feb 27, 2023
We have been juggling caring for my mum (Alzheimers) in her own home with a combination of visits from carers and myself in the evenings. Just over a month ago, she went for respite at dementia care home (with a view to staying permanently) as we were having challenging times between visits. Carehome costs £1500 a week.
In some ways l can see why it costs that much, but for mum l am questioning whether it is value for money.
She will be self funding once we have sold her home.
I didn't dislike caring for her and do have the skill set. But we do need an income. We were thinking of combination of my care during the day and over night from carer, back in her home.
Can mum pay me? Does this need to be formalised? If so, how do we go about it? Does it need to be equivalent to rate paid to care agency?
And finally, has anyone had similiar experiences?
Many thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Louise1964

Feb 27, 2023
We have LPA for financing and health.
I am not sure how realistic it is to be honest - mum wasn't keen on carers and would send them away then wait on street for me to arrive after l finished work.
But just feel we need to explore all the options.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We have LPA for financing and health.
You would have to clear it with the OPG.

With the link I posted HMRC can also ignore the ( gratuities family) income, a court case said pay should be going rate less 20% because no income tax paid. Again you would have to approach HMRC directly to get rid of all the employment paperwork.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue Huxford