Can I use Dad's money to pay for legal advice re dealing with Social Services?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by joggyb, Jan 25, 2015.

1. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    I have Power of Attorney over my father's property and finances.

Three months ago, he went into care after having been sectioned for his own safety. Two months ago, I moved him to a much better care home, local to me.

During the first couple of weeks, he managed to get out of the home twice. I received phone calls from the local mental health team and social services - who hadn't even met or assessed him at that point! - who threatened to remove him from the home (he is self funding).

Since this prospect scared the life out of me, and since I didn't know whether they were legally allowed to do this, I took formal advice from Dad's solicitors (esp re how to deal with a 'best interests' meeting).

I've now had a bill from the solicitor for that advice. My question is simply - can I use Dad's funds to pay this bill? I took the advice to protect Dad and to prevent him being moved and distressed unnecessarily. I know he would have wanted me to do this (he would not have wanted to be moved away from me), and would have approved.

Does anybody know? Thanks in advance

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`m sure you can use your dad`s money to pay legal fees in his best interest.

I suggest you ask the solicitor to identify the use of the money on the invoice for the fees so you will have proof of use should the need arise.

3. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Not sure. My thoughts are that it may be ok to use his funds. It's on his behalf and about him and if he was in a position to ask a solicitor its possible he may have done so.....

May be contact OPG (office of public guardian) for advice? They are very helpful and not scary :) I'm sure someone who has a better understanding will be along when they can.

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

4. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    Thank you - I think they've already done that, as it happens. I can also keep the letter they've sent with it, I suppose, which says the same thing.

5. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    Thanks, 2jays - good idea. I know I could ask the solicitor, but then I'll get billed again! :eek:

6. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Keep all correspondence however unimportant it may seem.

7. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    Yep - something that Dad has taught me long since! Has certainly proved to be very worthwhile during the past few months.