Can I ... Should I?

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
Hi Sam,

My Mum sustained a similar injury last year. Her wrist was broken in 4/5 places and, according to the surgeon, was the worst break to a wrist that anyone could have. The bones were manipulated under sedation and a plaster cast was put on her wrist and lower arm. As Mum has severe alzheimers disease, she had no recollection of having sustained an injury and, after the first few days, spent her time trying to remove the cast. She succeeded on 4 occasions and, after the 4th occasion, when the plaster was replaced it was extended to above her elbow. As her arm was bent at the elbow she was then unable to remove the plaster.

She has made a full recovery and is able to use her wrist and lower arm normally.

Best wishes to your Mum for a full recovery and I hope you have a relaxing holiday.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I am sorry to hear it's a bad break, but glad you got an orthopedist who understands about the dementia. As terrible as it sounds not to do the surgery, at least you can spare your mum the ordeal.

For now I hope she's not in too much pain and that it can be managed. For down the road, I hope she is able to regain some function.

Is it causing a lot of difficulties?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @spbeagle, that must have been awful for you. It was bad enough watching Mum with just one break

At least Mum only did it in one place. Mum just had gas & air & she was eyes squeezed shut & kicking in the bed. She doesn’t remember that, but I do. She really doesn’t do meds. She’s thrown up a lot over the last 24 hours, but seems ok now. She’s in loads of pain.

It’s good your mum made a full recovery. They didn’t think it was worth the risk with such a recent stroke. I concurred. They are pretty much expecting her to stroke out one day & this wouId be a step too far right now. So long as she can pull her nicks up & down & do her bra strap, everything else is just a slower process.

I’ve finalky bought my case down from the loft. Pooch is not impressed lol

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I wonder about a liquid form of pain medication, even paracetamol or ibuprofen, for your mum. If she's not great with taking pills or tablets, a liquid painkiller might be easier to administer, covertly if needed. This is all so hard with a dementia patient. Of course it's important to try to stay ahead of the pain, but it is such a difficult thing to do with a PWD. We had all kinds of trouble with my mother when she had her fall and break last year and it was terrible. I really feel for you.

Glad you have found your case. Now you need to find some things to put in it!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Amy in the US

It was such a relief to realise he understood, I think he was expecting to need to explain the risk of GA & was equally relieved I knew. He was very gentle with Mum & said he wouId do the Op if we wanted. The plaster team were also great, I saw the orthopaedic surgeon talking to them, then heard one say “she’s the Alzheimers patient’, but in a caring way & they were slow & gentle with her

I think not having the Op is the right thing to do. Too many risk factors in play & he said the outcome wouId be similar either way.

For the moment, bra straps & knickers are a problem. I’ve been allowed to pull them down, gee thanks.

Mum has talked if it being her own fault & we did tell her. For now she is compliant. She’s even saying she wants to go to the lunch club. Maybe I’m better at sales than I thought. I’ve sold it well. :D

I’m going to try that tomorrow. No really. I am going to try, but we have the assessment for the new care package at 11, so it might be a rush getting her there

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @DollyBird16

I know. Finding someone that has understanding is so rare we are grateful. Such a relief I didn’t have to be mummy bear defending baby bear. Lol

That’s good to know, I’m not expecting miracles, but if your Mum has good use, that’s a positive.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @jugglingmum

It’s funny, I’m so used to having to fight & spit my dummy out, it was deflating to find I didn’t need to. So good though. Although hospitals are never a great place to be for me, it was relatively painless. They were so sweet to Mum & we were laughing & chatting ... a surprisingly good memory to hold onto

I’m not packed or anything, just the case in my room

Pooch will get over it. He’s mostly having a go at me each time I take Mum out & ecstatic at her return. Me ... not so much ... I just feed & walk him ... he also takes over my bed. However, on seeing the case ... he was head down eye up & looked well unimpressed.

I’m still going.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum fell and broke her wrist. I had exactly the same conversation with mums orthopod too - I think they must come across PWDs quite a lot.
Mum didnt have surgery, but had her arm in plaster too. It healed a bit wonky, but didnt stop her doing what she wanted too.

Glad the case is down

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s not that Mum won’t take meds @Amy in the US, it’s that she never takes pain killers. Chronic migrain yes, Anything else, no. I’m much the same. So when she takes something, she’s either passed out or sick. Mum, myself & both my kids, we take very little, really high pain threshold, but taking anything is like a sledgehammer. We sleep. All of us take hours, I do mean lots of hours, to come round. Mum took over 6 hours to come out of GA for her hip replacement, I took 8 hours for my spinal. Both kids freaked out the surgeons taking 7 & 6.5 hours. None of us should have taken more than an hour after our various Ops :rolleyes:

You mean I need to find the list, print it off & put things in the case

Ok

:p:p:D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Case down from attic - check

Thereafter.....
List into case
5bikini bottoms
Credit card
Phone
Phone charger
Hair conditioner
Plane ticket/boarding pass

What else is needed????

The glamorous 5 min change over from day wear to evening wear that you achieved in Ireland I’m still so in awe of... you glamour puss you :D

Sorry ... yet again been nurse granny.... so not been able to keep up....
So glad you had contact with alz friendly hospital people xxxxx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @canary

I suppose after the stroke fiasco, I was expecting more ignorance. Grateful not to have found it.

I’m not too bothered about how pretty it looks, just if she can do things. Right now, she can so sweet bleep Adams lol

I’ve even printed off a short list. I’m getting there o_O

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The SW that assessed mum for her sheltered extra care flat was very understanding, and yes I was expecting a fight from reading TP.

I seem to have lots of fights .... I think the care team were going to have a go ... but I said I’ve been referred myself & you couid hear her backpedaling....

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol @2jays

I don’t do make up. I used to do a,lot of sport which meant quick changes to get to next class, so 5-10 minute shower & dressed is my normal lol

Nothing glamour about me, unless sagging eyes count lol

Control is returning. Passport & boarding pass done

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Thank goodness for the understanding dementia friendly consultant, give your lovely mum a hug from me x
Poor lady, I'm gutted for her x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank goodness for the understanding dementia friendly consultant, give your lovely mum a hug from me x
Poor lady, I'm gutted for her x

Thank you @Margi29 I could have hugged him for understanding. In an ideal world, it wouId be the norm, In our world we are pathetically grateful

Mum is no longer the lady you met, but then neither am I. We’ve both aged 10 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp