Can I refuse further DOLS assessments for my father?

Norbert

Jun 9, 2016
My 95 year old father has dementia and has been in a care home for 10 years. As his representative I have just received his first DOLS assessment report, which confirms that for his own safety he should be deprived of his liberty and that his condition is deteriorating. This is a decision I fully support and I do accept the justification/need for this first DOLS assessment.

The report clearly states that my father was distressed by the assessment process itself and became tearful when he was unable to answer questions.

I therefore do not want him to have to go through any further DOLS assessments. Is it possible to refuse further assessments and if so how? As I understand the legislation the assessment must be repeated every 12 months.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I greatly sympathise. My MIL was distressed for several days after her DOLS assessment last year. She couldn't remember the specifics but was left with an emotional memory that someone had reminded her of her old home / she ought to be doing something / her private personal business was being discussed yet again by a stranger / exactly where DID she live and why was she in this place?

She doesn't make much sense when she talks, due to severe aphasia, but she is still an intelligent woman and understands more than a stranger might realise. She doesn't want to remember the past. It serves to emphasise what she has lost. She wants to drift around experiencing only the present moment, and she most definitely doesn't want to have to face the reality of her lack of liberty.

Unfortunately, DOLS has to be reviewed annually under current legislation. We know our parents are not going to get better, but the one size fits all assessment has to be done. It is a serious matter to deprive anyone of their liberty, even if it is to keep them safe. I just don't know why they can't find a better script for talking to the resident. It seems so cruel. :(

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Norbert, welcome to TP
Below is a link to a thread earlier today on the same subject, my post is number 5 so I won't bother repeating it all here.
Any sort of questioning can be a source of anxiety to people with AZ, they know they should know the answers but they just can't get to it, I'm the same with crosswords.
A DoLS as you say has to be repeated every year for the patient's own safety and who knows what his mental health will be like then, he may like my wife be past the point of caring who's asking him what. You could ask to attend the next one (or another family member) and stop it if it goes beyond what you feel reasonable, however, I've attended several tests like this with my mother first time round and again now with my wife and they've all been handled in a sensitive way.
K

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?93065-DoLS&p=1283507#post1283507

Norbert

Jun 9, 2016
Thanks for the information and suggestions

Thanks to both respondents for clarifying that for me and making some positive suggestions.