Can daughter 'bubble' with parents?

Fe123

Dec 27, 2020
I write concerning my sister. She is 69 and cares for her husband who has lung cancer and Alzheimer's. He no longer communicates (and does not yet suffer pain) although was diagnosed only 2 years ago.

Sister is in Tier 3. Her daughter lives 30 miles away, also in Tier 3. Is it within the rules for the daughter to visit to assist her parents? She thinks not, but surely this cannot be the case.

Also, will some Care Homes take in her husband for, say, one day a week, or 2 days a fortnight - so that he can get accustomed to being away from home - and, of course, to give my sister a much needed break?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Welcome to TP. My understanding is care is exempt from the tier rules...so she can visit to assist with care.
Unfortunately I doubt very much whether during these covid times and risk of transmission that a part time placement would present, such an arrangement would be offered by care homes. Even in normal times some care homes would not have a respite room to offer, preferring to take permanent admissions rather than keeping a room empty to be occupied for only 1 night a week. Unfortunately day care which may have been an option has mostly been suspended during these times.
Have they been through the assessment process to see whether carer visits can be provided to help with care? If in a self funding position, is ypur sister in a position to pay for carers to come in?

Fe123

Dec 27, 2020

love.dad.but..

Thank you for response. I shall ask my sister about the 'assessment process'. She is in a position to pay for carers to come in, but she up till now she has been determined to manage without help. We can see this can't go on much longer, as is becoming too much for her.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
As far as I understand the rules re bubbles, which changed on the 2nd December, as your sister cared for her husband and it’s just the two of them, then she can form a support bubble with her daughter. It does not make a difference which tier they are in. But have a look on the Gov.uk website to check.

Fe123

Dec 27, 2020
Thanks, Lynmax.

I know my sister has looked, but she got the impression (from there) that because they were a couple, they would not be allowed to mix. Will tell hereto go back and have another look - and tell her what you said.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Others will be along with advice. Hopefully your sister will recognise that she needs support so that she keeps herself well, physically and mentally. Her husband is entitled to a care assessment and your sister a carer's assessment from Social Services also a financial assessment if a care package is agreed by the local authority, this determines whether they or your brother in law has to pay.
There are probably some info factsheets on this site for you to look at. I have just looked at the gov.uk site updated 23 Dec and for all tiers a family member or another unpaid carer can visit to provide care to give the primary carer a break and this is set outside of any bubble. However, they can also bubble with their daughter as well because it includes if in a household one person needs continuous care from another adult living in the household and there is not a 3rd adult living there...so covers all bases I think.

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
These guidelines from the Government Guidance for those who provide unpaid care for family and friends suggest that it would be OK for your niece to come and offer care to her parents. Saying that if the niece has to get there by public transport or has school age children at home it might not be sensible, but it would be allowed.
I too think it is unlikely that care homes would agree to having someone for a day or two a week. I'm not sure if this is something that might be possible , due to your brother in law's cancer, with the hospice service. Maybe something for your sister to explore. I does sound like she could do with an assessment of both their needs. which is something social services will provide. If they can fund care themselves they could just arrange it without SS involvement.
My husband's family has been trying to care for their mother between them for a number of years, but have now agreed to having carers in three times a day. There comes a time when needs outweigh wants, and this might have been reached for your sister and her husband.

Fe123

Dec 27, 2020
Sarasa, thank you.

You've all given me the info I need, so I can pass on with assurance that this is how it is. My sister was convinced she had no alternative but to stagger on, on her own.

I'm sure I'll be back with other queries but, meanwhile, thank you all. Such a relief to have got answers to questions.