Can anyone help?

Lynds

Jan 19, 2006
Derby
Hello I'm curently studying for an MA in Art and Design. My Mother was diagnosed 4 years ago with ALzheimers aged 54. I helped care for her during her illness but unfortunately during the last 2 years she developed breast cancer and died in November.
I really want to base my work on the feelings and emotions people experience when suffering with Alzheimers and those caring for people who suffer from this disease.

It would be a great help to me if anyone wants to contribute. This can simply be a list of words which best describe how you feel. Or Anecdotal evidence of a story or event that highlights the difficulties experienced.

I can be contacted via e-mail or if its ok with the moderators post here.

Thank you for your time

Lyndsey

KevinB

Dec 16, 2005
Nottingham/Leicester
Hi Lyndsey
sounds like a really interesting project. I work mostly with men carers - a lot of them talk about their love and duty, some about returning the love and care that their wives displayed for them in earlier years of their families. Some talk about guilt about not being better carers. My dad was involved in caring for his parents and has talked about being confused and unsure about what to do most of the time.

I have found the Alz Soc in Derby really helpful in allowing me to attend carers meetings, and the carers have been really open and helpful in talking to me about my research.

Best wishes
Kevin

Lynds

Jan 19, 2006
Derby
Thanks for your reply Kevin. Have been in touch with the Alzheimers society via the carers meeting in Derby and they have been really helpfull. I know they were great welcoming my mum's partner and he found their support important.

I hope I can somehow relate the feelings people experience through my work.

Thanks again

Lynds