Can anyone help? Mums carers got reduced from 2 to 1 a year ago, and no seems to know who done it.

Fazbang

An occupation therapist from the council in 2023 visited my mum whos bedbound and uncommunicative and accused me of requesting 2 carers. I didnt this was an assessment by either the NHS or the council the year before 2022 when she came out of hospital after a bloodclot.. The OT who had extensive experience in dementia care handling, told me that the carers were not really doing a great job even with 2, showed them how to do it on their own then reduced the carers to 1 every visit. This was when the council were paying for it. My father was alive last year and all their money was in joint accounts.

over the next couple of weeks the carers and the care company tried to influence me into me telling the council that i thought that 1 carer was not enough, i refused. My father passed away late last year, withing 2 weeks i was asked on 2 seperate occasions if my mum owned the house? I stupidly told them she did.

within a month of my fathers death the care company pushed again for 2 carers in the morning visit, the social worker and another OT visitied this time without meeting the carers and it was decided without any reports being done just on email request from the care company that 2 carers were needed on all 4visits a day. For a year one carer was enough, without complaint from the carer. Now its back to 2 carers a visit and we have to fully fund it.

I've asked for the reports from both OT visits ie the one that reduced the number of carers last year, and this one which increased them back to 2. No report exists for the last one, and the first visit no one has a clue who came, the social worker even asked me if i funded this OT visit myself?

The original OT was adamant that one carer was enough and with right approach which is fairly easy ie communication whilst changing her, backing off briefly when she gets agitated etc could easily be achieved with 1 carer, using sliding sheets, and bed blocks for restricting her from rolling back once put on her side for cleaning.

Please could anybody help me understand this situation..

SAP

@Fazbang I don’t know why you have been asked about the house as this would not be counted for as long as your mum is receiving care at home. The house only comes into the equation if she moves into residential care. I can see that now all the money she had in a joint account with your dad would be considered as hers and could have taken her over the £23,500 limit for paying care.
I can’t comment on her needs, I can only surmise that as the year has gone on her needs have changed maybe? If not then as she is paying , there would be nothing wrong with asking for information from social services regarding the level of care needed and a full explanation of what has changed in the last 12 months.
Out of interest,do you hold LPA for health and welfare. If not then the local authority will make decisions on your mother’s behalf, good practice would be to keep you in the loop but that does not always happen.

SAP

@mmary637215 , there is a whole section on here relating to CHC applications, so it would be worth having a read on there. Also it might be better to start a new post with your story so that it doesn’t get muddled with this one.

Fazbang

@Fazbang I don’t know why you have been asked about the house as this would not be counted for as long as your mum is receiving care at home. The house only comes into the equation if she moves into residential care. I can see that now all the money she had in a joint account with your dad would be considered as hers and could have taken her over the £23,500 limit for paying care.
I can’t comment on her needs, I can only surmise that as the year has gone on her needs have changed maybe? If not then as she is paying , there would be nothing wrong with asking for information from social services regarding the level of care needed and a full explanation of what has changed in the last 12 months.
Out of interest,do you hold LPA for health and welfare. If not then the local authority will make decisions on your mother’s behalf, good practice would be to keep you in the loop but that does not always happen.
I have both finance and health LPA. Forced my family too encourage my mum to get them as she was a fiercely independent woman who organised everything for the family. That took at least a year from the diagnosis. She didn't want too do it. In hindsight I believe my mum in the early stages thought we were just going too take control immediately.