Can a person just be faking it?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've often thought that dementia can lead to people being "more so". If they were manipulative when they were well, then they can become more manipulative. If they were inclined to loneliness then now they are more lonely. Anger? Ditto.

Dementia just seems to distill parts of a person's basic personality and make them "more so".

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
If someone is suffering with dementia it is a pretty big ask for them to be proactively manipulating things or playing one person off against each other. When you look at the nature of what is involved, then she would have to...

Be able to have a clear vision of what she wants to achieve.
She would need to be able to develop a logical plan to achieve it.
She would have to assess what the potential outcomes would be.
She would have to weigh up the risks involved.
She would have to remember all of the above in great detail.
She would then have to communicate her chosen approach with each of you.
She would have to remember what was said.
She would have to remember specifically what everyone's responses were.
She would then need the ability to revisit all of the above based on each person's response to the 'manipulation'.
She'd have to be able to quickly reassess the situation if she doesn't get the answers that she expected.
She needs the ability to keep in mind the entirety of the plan so far so she can give immediate responses especially if this is being done via a conversation.
All of this whilst being hampered by the debilitating nature of the disease, amidst the confusion, memory problems, damage to thought processes and rationale.

If she has all of the above capabilities and the sharpness of mind to deploy them, then you may well have to question the dementia diagnosis first and foremost.

What if the scenarios are symptomatic of the dementia. The confusion, the fear or not understanding her world around her any more, the need of support, the need for someone to step in and take control, the inability to remember specifically who said what and why and when, having to cover things up as best you can in case someone thinks or treats you differently if they know how bad things are, the fear or care homes, their stigma, being locked up and abandoned, making statements based on your interpretation of events, the frustration of constantly having your [skewed]beliefs and knowledge challenged, being badged as a liar, the constant need to 'perform' and not let things slip... And so it goes on...

Maybe it is our inexperience and knowledge that results in us, some more than others, being unable to distinguish what is relative to the symptoms of dementia. Sometimes those caring 24/7 fail to notice the changes that others do. Others may have no knowledge and experience of dementia so don't recognise any of the behaviours.

One point about the mental capacity considerations is to bear in mind that even the MCA recognises that capacity can only ever be tested and evaluated at that particular point of time. This is why they advocate that capacity should be assessed and probed on each individual occasion. Some could have the capacity to decide what to eat one moment, then in the very next breath refuse to eat. This is why there is no all encompassing test for capacity. This is why there is extensive guidance given on how to assess capacity and if it is not such that a specific choice or decision is based on capacity to understand that we must then resort to such things such as previously known wishes and best interests considerations as a form of substitute for times when capacity to decide is not there on the day.

Fiona

Last edited:

babystar

Apr 10, 2013
Before Mum’s official diagnosis we were also questioning “is she/isn’t she putting it on”. We understood that she was lonely after Dad passed away, and depressed as anyone would be, but eventually we wondered if she was maybe making herself seem more vulnerable to try and get more attention. She wouldn’t be able to do a simple thing like remember to turn the telly off, but then she arranged an appointment over the phone to have her oven cleaned. These aren’t brilliant examples, my mind is a bit blank today, but hopefully you get the idea. I also thought she may be playing the three children off against each other. She’s said to me before “so-and-so fusses over me”, “so-and-so takes hold of my hand” etc. Another time she said “so-and-so shouted at me”. I had a heads up that time and knew the circumstances but still it was the first thing she said when she saw me.

After diagnosis I felt a definite calm come over me; now I wouldn’t feel frustrated or doubting, I could attribute everything that she did to dementia. But it hasn’t lasted!

Mum was taken to hospital at the weekend after not feeling well with an upset tummy. She was asked if she wanted the doctor and she said no, then changed her mind later, and ended up visiting A&E. She was dehydrated and given tablets and was back home the same day. My sister went and stayed with her overnight.

Two days later she rings up my brother saying she doesn’t feel well. He can’t get out of her what’s wrong so phones my sister. She can’t get out of her what’s wrong either, so she phones me and asks me to go round. So I do and she says she feels better. Still not able to tell me what was wrong, just saying she can’t explain it and trying to avoid the subject by showing me some unrelated paperwork. Put her a meal on, fixed her a drink etc. and stayed for an hour. Called her the next day and still she said she felt fine.

The following day I pick her up and ask her how she’s feeling and she says she feels much better, and I say good. Later in the day she says she hasn’t been very well. I said yes I know and that I’d asked her how she was feeling when we were driving to mine and she says in this accusing tone “no you didn’t ask me how I was”! Later on she said she’d like to go home and asked if I was upset that she didn’t want to stay any longer, but she said it in a way that made it seem like she wanted me to be upset.

None of this probably makes sense, as I said my brain is not in gear. Plus a lot of the time I read things on here such as people thinking they’re being poisoned etc. and wonder what I’ve got to complain about!

In summary, I agree that sometimes you can feel like they are doing things on purpose, or to spite you, and it may be the case but not in a purposeful, conscious way. Maybe it’s more like a learned behaviour – “if I say I feel ill someone comes to see me”. The way we perceive their behaviour is for us to deal with, they’re our feelings and only we can control them, but it’s not easy.

Mickyt

Jan 23, 2014
Hi I feel like that some times with my farther. He was diagnosed with mixed type and Parkinsons. He is a very selfish man now and exactly how you have described he is always playing one of from the other.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

Vordrak

Account Closed
Jun 12, 2011
Sadly, dementia can affect people in subtle ways. Even manipulative behaviour can arise from the condition.

Hedgy

Aug 7, 2013
What a familiar scenario.

I feel like my gran is totally terrorising everyone involved in her care: me, my dad, the carer, even her one and only friend (and there is no-one else involved because they've all refused to be in touch sooner or later - like some relatives who are doctors and whom she blamed for sending my grandpa to death - you'd expect that as doctors they would understand but no they don't)...

I have tried to be resilient for a very long time but I can feel that her manipulations are driving me nuts. I am struggling to distinguish what is her and what is disease. Sadly, I am also starting to forget how (nice) she used to be!

Nowadays there is just so much paranoia, we are all taking turns to be blamed for something... Although gran is aware that I am currently away because I have to finish my studies (not sure if she understands the concept though), just last week she asked me whether I wanted to change my surname, as I clearly don't want to be a part of the family anymore (since I am no longer around etc) (?!).

It's frustrating, sad, annoying... And no, I don't think they are faking it, it's the disease. Nasty disease which makes people nasty... :(

seannk

Apr 8, 2018
I'd like to say a few things on this. My mother is only 54 years old. A few years ago she had a boyfriend who used her and eventually took off after robbing her. As a result she couldn't afford her rent and was evicted from her apartment. Immediately after my grandmother succumbed to breast cancer she had been battling for over 10 years. My mother went to live with my aunt. During this time she started complaining that she was having hip pain and was going to a different doctor every week to find out what was wrong with her. She was also claiming that something was wrong with her brain because she would miss exits on the freeway and her mind would wander and everything. My impression was that she was always an airhead who missed freeway exits and her mind always wandered and that she was just becoming more self aware since she was no longer working and living with my aunt. She was convinced that she had gotten bit by a tick and may have lyme disease. She was tested negative for lyme several times but did not accept the results because she read somewhere that the only real way to rule out lyme disease is something called a "Western Blot Test" which she was never given. After her 5th neurologist and MRI, and third primary care physician somehow all of a sudden she is diagnosed with traumatic brain injury/dementia. I thought munchausen and her typical depression was more likely the blame accompanied by primary care physicians and neurologists who were just fed up with insisting to her that she was completely fine...especially since she hasn't sustained any head trauma that may have triggered this.

One more important bit of information. Historically my mother has had a pattern of working and functioning for a short period of time and depending on others to take care of her for longer periods of time. She has always made impulsive financial decisions and relationship decisions and displays 7 of the 9 symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder. She is a really sweet lady but she is the master of the guilt trip and she has taken advantage of those who care for her in the past even while she was physically healthy.

Well here we are today, my mother is living with my 90 year old grandfather, with my 3 brothers, 34, 24, 15. They all depend on my grandfather and my mothers disability payments to function. I have just been married, bought my first house, which is too small for me, my wife and 3 year old son. Over the last few years my mother has hinted and even asked if she could move in with me. I've seen what she and my brothers do to our family members homes. They are destroyed. I've come to the determination that my mothers fear of living in a nursing home is not my problem. Sounds awful right? Insensitive? Even I feel like a downright sociopath for this. But here's the thing. Mom spent all of those healthy years depending on others, making poor decisions and etc. She had to have at some point thought about how she would live after retirement and either dismissed the thought or put her faith that someone would take care of her, but ungratefully as it is gods doing and not the doing of someone else who was helping her. Her faith is in that god will take care of her, but because of that faith she easily takes help from others for granted.

So needless to say, I've been under the assumption that she is faking this. I mean she's only 54? It's too early for this!!! But today she had a pretty dramatic episode where she thought something traumatic happened today that happened several months ago. Being the closest of my brothers to being financially capable of supporting her, I intend to discuss with her and them and my grandfather the option of putting her into a home. I'd rather be able to have this conversation and explain to her why this is happening to her while she can be lucid enough to understand what I'm saying. I hate it and I feel evil and dastardly but it comes down to this. I have my children who will grow up and need to take care of themselves and their children just as I have to take care of myself and mine. I do not need the cycle to repeat itself by putting myself in financial ruin to where I need to depend on someone else to keep me out of a nursing home. So if she is faking it, she will no longer have incentive to do so. If she isn't, she'll be in the best place for her, based on her finances and past decisions.

Hope my situation helps you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Welcome to TP and I would like to say thank you for your very honest and brave post.

I think that the years and your family relationships have not been kind to you but I really admire you for the way you have considered the situation and have decided that your own immediate family must come first.

If you spend some time reading some of the threads on Talking Point, you will see that there are so many issues within families regarding the care and responsibility of a parent and there will be some who will disagree with your point of view.

I have two step sons who are about the same age as your mum and they are both unable to think about how they will support themselves later in life but I suspect they think they will be inheriting money from their parents.

Other TP members will be along soon who will be able to point you in the right direction of care homes and funding but I think you would need some sort of diagnosis for your mum and I don't believe that your grandfather should have to do this.

Out of the wreckage of your disruptive family, you have found a strength that they never had so I wish you and your family all the best.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
It's all so horrible and so hopeless, to be so helpless. I love my Mum, but the person I love is gone, or at least buried under this disease and I can't fight it for her. Like she's under an evil spell and I can't save her. I can't take it all if I don't hold on to the fact my dear Mum is still in there, and sometimes she comes to the fore. But thinking it's her doing some of this is killing me, and knowing she's in there scared and alone is driving me mad... Mostly I think... My poor Mum. If I don't get a handle on it, I'll be in the care home along with her. If I can just make a little progress, get her into a care home where she's safe and not alone, fed, washed, comfortable... maybe I can rest. Maybe I can feel I haven't let her down. Thank you all for sharing your stories, it helps so much to connect with people who understand. Xxx
@Boredhousewife I feel for you I really do. My experiences with my mum was that in the early to mid stages She could put in a good front for visitors , docs etc for a while but with Dad and me it was as though she felt safe to be herself , so others didn’t see what we saw and experienced. I am wondering if is what is happening with your mum.

EllaBellaBajan

Dec 26, 2022
How could you tell if a person is faking dementia? Or at least that they are pretending to be worse than they really are, to get attention?
I have posted about my Mum, just now. But I have also been talking to my sister on the phone. When my Mum talks to me, she is so confused and literally cannot work out how to get the overhead lights to turn on and off. My sister however has never seen this in her and tells me she suspects Mum to be putting it on because she knows I will patiently try to talk her through finding a light switch and turning it on. For example.
Mum's psychiatrists thinks she has capacity. So does her GP and social worker.
I had Mum to stay over Christmas. She was ok for a couple of days, but I noticed she was really clingy and followed me around everywhere. She appeared scared of my partner and kept asking when my children would be "going home" She hated it that I had to go out to my evening job. When I wanted to go an wash up the dishes, he asked me if I wanted her to go home seeing as I wasn't spending any time with her. On Xmas day she woke up in some sort of massive delusional episode where she said she had been poisoned by my two kids. We ended up in A&E for the whole day, where she was as happy as Larry all the day.
Can she be putting it on! If she is I think I might do something drastic as she has all but ruined my life these past 2 years.
Hi I have been dealing with something similar. Mum is lonely & an attention seeker. I recognise so much of this.

EllaBellaBajan

Dec 26, 2022
I’ll try & keep it brief. I live with mum & have worked with people living with dementia. I watch & listen. Mum wants my brother to visit more often so feigns confusion. She 100% is fine articulate & lucid. I deal with household stuff etc so my brother stopped visiting as much (family of his own). Mum always snaps @ me when I help her and says ‘leave it for John’. She is also very vile to me as she blames me for being sexually abused by her late husband when I was 12 ‘ you must have been asking for it’. I am now fine & enjoying life having suffered a breakdown, hospitalisation & decade of therapy. Despite all this I was happy to move back home to keep her company & help her deal with ‘house stuff’. So ever since my brother & sister said it was confusing for her but I knew differently, I started recording her. I have proof she ONLY has issues & forgets & acts confused when they visit. Literally as soon as she waves them off it’s like the mask falls and she reverts to type. She stops walking all hunched over and has zero confusion about anything. I left the dumb waiter slightly open & was talking about signs of dementia and that same afternoon mum magically displayed each one almost like clockwork. My sister visits once in a blue moon. Mum only gets confused on those days. My brother might visit once a month and mum is only confused on those days. At all other times she’s chatting away in the phone, slating me to the neighbours and if I’m dressed up to go and visit a friend for coffee, looks at me and calls me a bitch under her breath. My friends ask me why I don’t move out as she shows utter contempt & jealousy towards me and I say it’s God’s will. I have a strong faith snd I believe this is a test for me. So, I just want to let people know that whilst it is rare, there are people out there who do manipulate, fake and lie for attention. There are countless other examples but this is already so long. One thing I will not tolerate is how she is trying to play us siblings off against each other. She has tried so hard to isolate me from my siblings and I know her behaviour now in old age is her never accepting or showing any kind of sympathy/empathy for how my abuse affected so much of my life ‘You should have kept your mouth shut’. To her, it’s all about keeping up appearances and the fact ‘it came out’ & the subsequent consequences means ‘I wrecked her life’. She refused to go to any counselling with me/alone. Now she is in the autumn of her life she is so bitter & determined to wreak havoc & divide the family with me (who was happy to return home to help her) left out in the cold. Fortunately, I have wonderful friends. I have to say that for the first time this Christmas I looked at my siblings and I really didn’t care if they were staying ir leaving. So in that respect she is winning as they will not call out her nonsense. So if anyone is reading this and relates, know that you are doing your best. You are not wrong and sometimes people just can’t see or believe that someone could be so wicked & sly. YES THEY CAN. I will pray for everyone who is in this position. God has your back🙏🏽X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @EllaBellaBajan
This is actually a very old thread, so people on this thread are unlikely to reply,

Does your mum have a diagnosis of dementia?
Its very common for people with dementia, and also mental health problems, to be vile to their main caregiver and take out all their frustration on them. The difference between the two will show up on tests, especially scans. Has your mum been for tests for dementia? If not, perhaps this might be something to consider - to rule out dementia, if nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gillyc