Cameras / Intro

Sparkie100

Nov 20, 2023
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for welcoming me.

I have a question about the use of cameras. My sister has installed one in my mother's home and my mother has consented.
I feel the installation of the camera is premature.
My sister has always had an abrasive attitude towards me and I really do not like the fact that she can monitor any of our conversations or activities in my mothers home.

Does anyone have any guidance on this at all?

Thank you,

Lindsey

try again

Jun 21, 2018
If privacy is a worry I'd suggest you use something like an echo show. This has the added advantage of being able to chat so it's future proofed when phones cannot be used.
Also when someone links you can see that they have logged on.

Good time to get them on Amazon this week 😁

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sparkie100 and welcome to the forum. Has your sister installed the camera to make sure that your mum is safe? Where cameras are involved privacy is an issue that needs to be considered but as your mother has agreed to this, and it's her home, I think it's a difficult situation in terms of you objecting to this. It sounds as if there is just a single camera so are you able to speak to your mother privately in another area of her home, which isn't in range of the camera? Cameras are in use in throughout the communal areas of my mum's care home but I don't have personal experience of using cameras at a private premises, although using an Alexa as mentioned above may be a suitable compromise depending on the reasons for installing the camera. There is a lot of shared experience and knowledge here so others with may be along with other suggestions for you.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I had cameras when mum was at home for safety. I found them really useful and allowed me to know mum was ok being left alone for short periods.

I did find it a bit odd that my brother could view me ….but came to the conclusion he was a bit sad if he spent time watching me on a camera.

It is your right not to be watched however- as @Louise7 suggests perhaps go out of range or cover them over when you’re there. If they’re for safety there’s no need for them to be on when you’re with your mother.

I couldn’t be bothered with the faff so left them on…..now mum is in a care home I think they may even still be on for my brother to watch 🙈🙈 better make sure I don’t walk around half dressed 🙈🙈

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023