Calcium levels in blood

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or comments about this. Yesterday I took my mother for a blood test to check her calcium levels (amongst other things) before she starts infusions for osteoporosis. She takes big calcium tablets on a daily basis. Because her bones are so bad she must not be very good on the uptake of calcium in her system.
I am interested in the results of the blood test because if her calcium levels are high this might be affecting her mental state and this might explain some of her symptoms.
She is currently undergoing assessment from the Memory Clinic people who want to do a few extra checks because my mother's case is not straightforward. Also we have seen some of my mother's symptoms come and go.
Does anyone else have thoughts or experience of this?
Thanks

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I can't really comment on any connection between calcium levels and mental functioning.

However, I was taking a calcium supplement as I have osteopenia which is a condition that will eventually develop into osteoporosis. Several years ago the bone density clinic advised me to stop taking the calcium as it apparently clogs up the veins and arteries. I have not taken the supplement for a long time but at my last assessment my bones were better than at the previous one. I was taking medication but it gave me terrible side effects but I did a lot of weight bearing exercise.

Perhaps there may be a link so I hope all the investigations are helpful.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or comments about this. Yesterday I took my mother for a blood test to check her calcium levels (amongst other things) before she starts infusions for osteoporosis. She takes big calcium tablets on a daily basis. Because her bones are so bad she must not be very good on the uptake of calcium in her system.
I am interested in the results of the blood test because if her calcium levels are high this might be affecting her mental state and this might explain some of her symptoms.
She is currently undergoing assessment from the Memory Clinic people who want to do a few extra checks because my mother's case is not straightforward. Also we have seen some of my mother's symptoms come and go.
Does anyone else have thoughts or experience of this?
Thanks
I expect your mother is taking Vitamin D if she has osteoporosis problems. I do know that vitamin D is important for most cell functions, especially neurodegerative diseases, heart disease and diabetes as is reported a lot in the press these days. People over 65 should take it daily according to the DOH. Pills are not quite as effective as sunshine but there isn’t enough of that in the UK from October to April so I buy tablets from Boots or the supermarket. Even in sunny countries the use of high factor sunscreen has created vitamin D deficiency in children.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I expect your mother is taking Vitamin D if she has osteoporosis problems. I do know that vitamin D is important for most cell functions, especially neurodegerative diseases, heart disease and diabetes as is reported a lot in the press these days. People over 65 should take it daily according to the DOH. Pills are not quite as effective as sunshine but there isn’t enough of that in the UK from October to April so I buy tablets from Boots or the supermarket. Even in sunny countries the use of high factor sunscreen has created vitamin D deficiency in children.

You make a very important point about vitamin D.

Here in Australia, land of sunshine and all that stuff, there are many people who are deficient in vitamin D as lots of us are scared stiff of developing melanoma so we cover up, wear hats and long sleeves. A recent study in Tasmania showed that over half the population was vitamin D deficient.

Then there are those who still bake in the sun for hours..........!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You make a very important point about vitamin D.

Here in Australia, land of sunshine and all that stuff, there are many people who are deficient in vitamin D as lots of us are scared stiff of developing melanoma so we cover up, wear hats and long sleeves. A recent study in Tasmania showed that over half the population was vitamin D deficient.

Then there are those who still bake in the sun for hours..........!
Lawson I had never head that warning about calcium and have been taking Vit D and calcium over the winter along with my fish oil. I don't have osteoporosis so should I stop taking the calcium? I think I will or perhaps only occasionally.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
I have heard that too much calcium released into the bloodstream from the bones can cause confusion among other problems and needs to be kept under control and in very severe cases can be fatal. Google hypercalcemia.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Lawson I had never head that warning about calcium and have been taking Vit D and calcium over the winter along with my fish oil. I don't have osteoporosis so should I stop taking the calcium? I think I will or perhaps only occasionally.

Maybe it would be good to ask your doctor.

The last time I was at the bone density clinic, they checked to make sure that I wasn't taking it.

Health supplement companies are still advertising the benefits of it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Maybe it would be good to ask your doctor.

The last time I was at the bone density clinic, they checked to make sure that I wasn't taking it.

Health supplement companies are still advertising the benefits of it.
Took on board your warning and added the calcium to the garden. Thanks.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
I would like to caution about fish oil too - eat the fish instead - I had a recent operation for skin cancer - the operation was called a MOHS op - they take a small slice at a time - the surgeon was adamant that “fish oil “ tablets be stopped 3 weeks before as it causes thinning of the blood and so extra bleeding ( but some people need thinners!) .

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I have osteopena which will eventually lead to osteoporosis. My Mum who has dementia has osteoporosis as did my late Father. We all used to take calcium tablets. Last year Mum and my own calcium tablets were stopped by the GP. I was told osteoporosis is due to the body being unable to absorb enough calcium so taking more calcium is pointless. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium but a short course is all that's required. I don't know how often though this should be happening? Mum is walking so badly as she is so bent over and I don't know if it's due to the dementia, her bad back or the osteoporosis? We both have a multivitamin tablet with vitamin D included so I don't know if we should be having anything else?. The medical profession seem to have changed their minds over all this as my late Father, when he was in the care home, was given a calcium tablet, as were all the residents, every morning with their meds. My Grandmother had what they used to call Dowagers Hump which I believe was also caused by osteoporosis. It certainly runs in our family.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have osteopena which will eventually lead to osteoporosis. My Mum who has dementia has osteoporosis as did my late Father. We all used to take calcium tablets. Last year Mum and my own calcium tablets were stopped by the GP. I was told osteoporosis is due to the body being unable to absorb enough calcium so taking more calcium is pointless. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium but a short course is all that's required. I don't know how often though this should be happening? Mum is walking so badly as she is so bent over and I don't know if it's due to the dementia, her bad back or the osteoporosis? We both have a multivitamin tablet with vitamin D included so I don't know if we should be having anything else?. The medical profession seem to have changed their minds over all this as my late Father, when he was in the care home, was given a calcium tablet, as were all the residents, every morning with their meds. My Grandmother had what they used to call Dowagers Hump which I believe was also caused by osteoporosis. It certainly runs in our family.

The bone density clinic want me to take vitamin D regularly and I don't think a small dose taken daily would cause any harm. I think I have been taking it for about ten years now. A lot of the medication for osteopenia and osteoporosis have some uncomfortable side effects and I took one for about three years and ditched it with the full agreement of my GP.

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Thanks for the replies. Interestingly, my mother has never been prescribed Vit D or advised to take it. It makes me wonder if all the calcium supplements over the years have done any good, clearly not by her latest bone scan.
I guess she will get a call from the hospital if her levels of calcium are too high. Makes me wonder though if this has had any bearing on her bad days when her levels of confusion have been higher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp